OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

Could you consider adding additional forecasting?
I see that openweathermap provides 8 days of forecasting but your app only allows up to 3 days.
I am truly only interested in "forecast text", "rain amount", "forecast high" and "forecast low" for those 8 days.
I use this to predict how much snow there will be in my area and if it will melt or not before the end of the day so that I can predict if I will need to shovel the snow or make arrangements to do so. As much advance notice as possible is really helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you for the great service!

There are no plans to expand the scope of the drivers attributes. There are many, many more attributes that are available in the API that are not exposed in this driver. The driver is already a bit bloated as it is now and any further expansion will use more resources that benefit very few individuals. The code is open, so feel free to add in what you think you may need in your copy. The code is pretty stable at this point (only two small tweaks this year), so any changes you make will not have to be re-added for official code changes very often.

Thanks.

Ok, thanks. I may make the changes myself.

Thanks for the starting point :slight_smile:

I'm not far along with this - but I've been dabbling with applying patch files to groovy code user Composer. my idea was to keep copies on my github of the customized drivers I've created. They are basically forks but git has a way to keep your fork updated. Then composer applies the patches on a scheduled basis, my git desktop pushes it back into the Git rep and I pull downloads using HPM urls. It's a work in progress.

@Matthew Matthew thank you for all your hard work on this awesome driver. I use hubitat with home remote so I’m hopping I can user your data to populate the labels I want to use. what I was wondering how often do you make call to OWM I have the free API key and have 1000 calls a day on oncall and 1 mil of Gen calls if I understand there API. I set 3 hrs day and night but still see in the data a poll of 1p Min. Could this be right also in hubitat in the schedule log update of 10 to 15 min.

Dan

Sorry, I can really decipher your question here?

The driver allows for two polling frequencies. One for 'daytime' (sunrise to sunset) and one for 'nighttime' (sunset to sunrise). Many users wanted more frequency during the day as they use the driver's LUX (illuminance) attribute, but don't need/want that frequency when it is dark out. The driver uses OWM's OneCall API for all of it's data and that API allows for 1,000 polls per day for free. So if there were 16 hours of daylight (summer) and 8 hours of nighttime, you could poll as frequently as every two minutes during the day and every five minutes at night and remain under the limit ( 30 Polls/hour * 16 hours) + (12 polls/hour * 8 hours) = 576 polls per day. You would remain well under the 1,000 per day limitation on their API. You should also verify that your location actually updates the underlying data at that frequency. Just because you can poll the API that often does mean the data has changed. If your location's underlying data that the API feeds is only updated every 15 minutes it does not help to poll more often than that.

In general API polls take hub resources and creates a larger database. You should consider your requirement for fresh data frequency and balance that with the hub resources required to provide that frequency.

Hope that helps.

Hi Matthew, thanks for getting back so quickly. You answered the question bang on and that info is what I was looking for. I will make the changes you pointed out and I will be good to go.

Dan

@Matthew Hello, hoping you can assist. I just updated to 2.3.0.119 and it seems to have broken the driver, are you able to assist?

I don't think so. I just updated after reading your post and mine is running as usual. No errors. Make sure you on the latest version (V0.5.3 08/11/2021).

1 Like

Very very weird, all the sudden about 20 min ago the errors stopped.

1 Like

I've been watching my logs more closely recently due to some hub latency and I've been noticing that this app is giving some argument Exception errors. I see this error was posted a few posts up from this one, but I don't really see any resolution. Is there something that needs to be updated for line 1462?

That seems to happen when one of the polls fails. I do not see the errors and when it has been reported it has always resolved by either rebooting or re-establishing the poll schedules by opening the driver and hitting 'Save Preferences'

1 Like

I'm trying to use this to get info on recent/future rain in my area, so that I can control watering in the garden. However, whilst I can see values such as percentPrecip and rainToday in the Device attributes

Weather

I'm not able to select these in RM

What am I missing?

Make sure you have turn on any optional attributes that you want to be available in RM and Dashboards.
1)

Then click 'Save Preferences', then select the attributes you want to expose to RM and Dashboards:

Then click 'Save Preferences' again.

If they are not turned on, they will not be available.

Hi @Matthew , I have done that.

I see the relevant attributes in the Dashboards, but I don't see them in RM

I want to be able to set a variable, so I can then do comparison/calculation and decide if I want to water

In your condition in RM select 'Custom Attribute',, then select the weather driver and all available attributes should be there.

1 Like

Piping in here - Something is off :slight_smile:
I dont' see an 'Illuminated' value - heck. I'm not even sure what that is! I can fathom a guess but regardless - In my OWP (which is an AWESOME too thank you @Matthew ) I have ILLUMINANCE.
Also, often illuminance is referred to as lux... in case that's important.
Here is my a partial attribute from my driver list (notice Illuminance spelling -0 not Illuminated):
The tile on my dash is:

I'm not understanding something...

In my Trigger Event I can select this attribute

But if I want to set a variable with the value, the attribute is seemingly not available

The only thing I can think if it you may be referencing the wrong driver? There is an integrated Open Weather Map driver that does not have as many attributes available. Make sure the virtual device you are referencing is using this Custom Driver and NOT the built in integrated driver.

?? Works for me.