OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

The app does look like it is reporting what the OWM API is providing. Unfortunately the OWM API is not reporting any weather alerts (at least around @arnb's location) when weather.gov is reporting weather alerts. The Tornado Watch was issued at 1:11 PM EST until 5:00 PM EST and as of my writting this, over a hour and 30 minutes later) it is still not showing on OWM?

I don't know if OWM is having issues right now, or if it is just consistently unrealiable?

I am reluctant to offer an option to use weather.gov because: 1) of the added complexity in both programming and debugging that introduces; 2) I never got the weather.gov alerts working flawlessly before I moved away from that source (which was part of the motivation to move away from that source); and 3) it adds no value to anyone outside of the United States (and there are quite a few users of this driver from outside of the United States).

Please keep reporting instances such as these, or if they improve. Hopefully OWM improves their service and the issue will go away. If it continues, ..... I will probably consider adding the options as @arnb has suggested.

1 Like

@arnb, Maybe complain to OWN directly about your findings (without necessarily talking about this app), they might have issues like @Matthew said and they are not even aware of it?

2 Likes

Reported the issue to OWM support.

A number of weeks ago I reported the NJ USA City link shows London, UK radar. That has not been fixed, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for an OWM fix to the latest issue. OWM weather alerts previously worked, however a missing Tornado alert gives me a lot of concern

I'm not in a Tornado prone area, but I can understand the concerns. At least this is not the main communication device for alerts, it's just another way to make sure you don't miss it.

I'm in NJ, USA, generally the state gets a few weak tornadoes per year. However, I'm home much of the time, and with my phone wandering to unusual locations in the house, or hiding in the coat pocket in the closet, I rely upon RM TTS based upon the OWM device's Current State Alert fields.

As with all things, a good backup plan is important.

1 Like

Installed @nh.schottfam's Noaa Weather Alert app until OWM corrects their USA NWS alert issue.

It immediately spoke the alert on my tablet with Fully, but it was unusually long winded due to the default selecting all the counties impacted and the alert covering a large geographic area. Adjusting the default message variables should correct this issue.

Just received (Nov 30, 2020 17:56EST ) a severe Thunderstorm warning, +1 on OWM app. It has a strange time on the alert in the OWM weather data and the link data shows +2, so I suspect OWM is having an issue with NWS alerts

Strange time info
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Nov 30, 10:46pm - Nov 30, 11:15pm

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 615 PM.........

[UPDATED]
v0.4.8
12/01/2020

Changes:

• Added ability to select the Weather Alert source (None/OWM/Weather.gov {US Only}).
    There is a new preference selection:

Please note that the source weather.gov only provide alerts for locations within the United States.

4 Likes

This is fantastic! Thank you.

1 Like

@Matthew, I'm a user user from Canada. We you first supported alerts from Canada it worked great. No complaints. Now the last alert that came was in French. I know there are many ways this can screw up from my localization to the web call. Is there anything in the call about the language returned?

There is nothing in the poll request to the API that specifies language. If you look at the OWM API documentation, you can specify a language, but the driver does NOT do so. If this was reporting in English and that changed to French, then OWM must have changed their default for Canada to French as I did not make any changes in the driver that would have caused that.

If you wanted to force the language to English (or another language as described in the documentation link above), you should be able to by editing line 338 of the code from:
ParamsOWM = [ uri: 'https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat=' + (String)altLat + '&lon=' + (String)altLon + '&exclude=minutely,hourly&mode=json&units=imperial&appid=' + (String)apiKey, timeout: 20 ]

to
ParamsOWM = [ uri: 'https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat=' + (String)altLat + '&lon=' + (String)altLon + '&lang=en&exclude=minutely,hourly&mode=json&units=imperial&appid=' + (String)apiKey, timeout: 20 ]

Hope that helps. Thanks.

@Matthew
Thanks for the fast response. I am going to play around with this the next time there is a warning. And thanks for the documentation link.

[UPDATED]
v0.4.9
12/03/2020

Changes:

• New tinyurl for icons. https://tinyurl.com/icnqz/ points to the same location as the previous tinyurl, but is three characters shorter. With nine icons in the myTile, that frees up 27 characters for other data/formatting. If you are updating you may want to copy the new tinyurl for the alternative icon location into your preferences as it will not automatically replace what you have now.
  • Added tinyurl for weather.gov alert hyperlink to save characters in the tiles. No acton required to get this one.
  • Bug fixes.

Hi, I am using the same weather utility, have you been able to have it show in a window constantly or do you have to open the tile to see the data? thank you

Received this response from OWM regarding missing tornado alerts

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

There were few missed alert records in the API at the given time. We have fixed the issue, and it should not present anymore.

3 Likes

I am wanting to use Forecast texts for a rule, but I am seeing a discrepancy between the "forecast_text"s and the "threedayfcstTile" (which appears to match my local forecast from their website and other websites). Based on the tile and checking OWM's condition codes, I would have expected to see "Clouds" in the text? I guess I am also unlcear on which days "forecast_textn" represent.

On the threedayfcstTile the three condition codes shown are:
Today --> 'condition_text' (current condition)
Tomorrow --> 'forecast_text1'
Day after tomorrow --> 'forecast_text2'

I could have used :
Today --> 'forecast_text' (current day forecast condition)
, but chose to have it show the current conditions instead.

Hope that helps.

That does help with part of my question, thank you! (and thanks for the great device)

But, my other question then is: why does my "forecast_test1” say “Clear Sky”, yet Wednesday (Tomorrow) on the tile say "Broken Clouds" (from Group 80x: Clouds in conditiohttps://openweathermap.org/weather-conditions#Weather-Condition-Codes-2n codes? Any thoughts?

Make sure you have this optional attribute turned on:

I will do some clean up in a future update, but if that is not turned on then the forecast_textn will not update as intended. It 'should' only require that you have the optional attribute of 'forecast_text' turned on:

..... but that is not working as intended at the moment (AKA a bug).

Thanks! that was indeed the issue. Now Forecast_Text2 says "Overcast clouds". Thank you! and thank you again for your work on this driver, Very helpful.