Opening Blinds to a Specific Place

Hello,

I have just moved all of my Z-Wave devices from alarm .com to my new HE hub. A little painful for 48 devices but not horrible. The light switches are fine and specifically the dimmers are controllable which is what I was hoping for. What I can't seem to figure out is how to make my blinds "dimmable". When they were paired with my alarm .com panel, it recognized them as dimmable light switches so I could set them to 35% as an example and that's how far they would open. In the hub, they are added as a "Generic Z-Wave Shade". I'm only seeing the ability to turn them on or off or open and close. Unless I go into device details, then I can specify the percentage.

I understand this but I need to dumb it way down for my wife and daughter. I need for them to see it as "dimmable" or preferably as a blind so they can figure out what to do with it. Then, I need it to tell Google Home it is a blind or shade or dimmable light so I can control it as such there.

Could you post up which controller you are using for the shades?

What brand and model are they? Roller or tilt?

They are Bali Cellular blinds so they just go up and down.

If other drivers don't work (and I'd wait for suggestions from folks who are using shades, which I'm not), you may be able to use the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver with them.

I use the Generic Zigbee Dimmer driver w/one of my zigbee blinds, and I can set any dim level and they go to that level.

Bob,

Forgive me for not understanding the question. The blind is connected to the HE hub over z-wave. Is the controller something listed in the device configuration? I only got my hub two days ago so still learning a lot.

Danabw,

When you say driver, are you referring to the device type drop-down? That sounds like a good idea to try.

Yup.

FYI I found this post while searching the community. It's a tad old but it might be helpful.

Current generic shade driver should work now..

He means what we casually call the "driver" but is listed as "Type" on the device page:

Thank you all, the solution of using the generic z-wave dimmer works perfectly. Yes, it does lump it in with lights on Google Home but we are used to that since that is how alarm .com did it. Any chance of getting more detailed drivers to specific shades?

Did an update just get posted for the generic shade driver? It wasn't working, only giving on/off as a light in Google.

If you use the Community Google Home integration you may be able to "force" Google to see the shades as shades, regardless of the driver.

Ahh right, that is a limitation of the google API. There may or may not be a custom driver that can overwrite that.

What is the difference between "Community Google Home" and "Google Home"?

Oh and make sure that anytime you change a driver, click save, then click CONFIGURE at the top of the page.

2 Likes

Google Home is native google home integration, community google home is the community made google integration with a lot more options. (available in Hubitat Package Manager)

1 Like

Ahh, so much to learn.

Thank you all for your quick help!

2 Likes

Luckily, @rlithgow1 and folks like him (smarter 'n me) will be here to share. :smiley:

It says "Alpha" but it's been around for over two years, so I'd say it's at least Alpha-Beta by now... :wink:

1 Like

Take a look at this.. Has some basic info and links that could help (mostly rules of thumb and a link to Hubitat Package Manager)