Onkyo Receiver Custom Driver

Thank you, worked perfect

newbie here and was very surprised to find the Onkyo AVR driver in the Add Virtual Device option. I have a tx-8260 that is connected to ethernet and so far I have just installed a switch for on/off on the unit because I am not certain what goes in the rest of the fields for the device settings. Could someone share a screen shot of their setting page or create a quick primer for non programmer types. I see the graphic just above from @mike.maxwell showing State Variables and I imagine that is what I will be using but just "what goes where" is my question. Thanks in advance!

Also I wanted to add that I just set up the virtual device and switch last night and I have noticed all day today that the Onkyo app on my android phone is now so much faster and responsive it's like night and day. I assume its something to do with the constant telnet connection now??? So basically it took a subpar app that spent most of its time showing me a spinning wheel and made it acceptably responsive. I have been dreading trying to figure out what I was going to do to somehow upgrade it's performance and so far this has done just that, so Thanks guys @cdallum and @mike.maxwell

1 Like

It's been a while, but the only things I recall having to modify were the IP and (maybe) port. Here's an example of my setup.

That said, just make sure your receiver has a fixed IP address on your network to ensure this setting works consistently.

Thanks for the quick response. I should have been more specific, I have the Preferences setup fine (I think) its the Commands I need help with. See attached

after you've tested that the on/off commands work, go to the receiver or use the receiver remote and select each input one by one, they then should be added to the media sources.
After that you can rename them if you wish

Thanks Mike for the input. I definitely have the on/off commands working on the virtual device. Do you do something with the Device in HE when you are changing the inputs? Like click open the device or something like that ? Thanks again.

The HE driver will follow the state of the receiver, volume, mute, selected input, power.
These settings can also be changed via the driver commands or rules, these settings are then sent to the receiver, so HE can turn the receiver on or off, mute, set the volume, current input ect...

Now if we only had zone 2 support :smiley: (shameless hint, hint)

1 Like

Yeah, I know...

And for the Denon driver too please :grin:. @mike.maxwell I am happy to help beta test anything you come up with if you need testers. I have both a Denon and Onkyo receiver.

Or open source the driver, and someone else will finish/expand it...

Oh, not this again...
You know the policy, poking at it every other week isn't going to change anything...

Bah. If I stopped every time people told me to quit pestering them I wouldn't have a job, or be married, or have kids. Lol. :wink:

2 Likes

I suggest an option to add one or more custom commands. Then it is up to the customer to find out the commands and enter in the driver. It had solved my problem with choosing tuner preset number xx and makes the driver much more flexible.

How do you create at Rule to link a virtual button/switch/dimmer to the Onkyos virtual device buttons. I do not see the correct drop downs in the Rule set up to select Volume up or down in virtual device I have set up.

Was there ever an answer for this? If so please point me that way. I have the same problem and it is driving me mad. All I need to do is get attribute setinputdevice : insert number here on virtual button push. So simple yet so hard

probably need to select run custom actions then switch and you should have all the commands available.

You mean like this......

That was it, Thanks so much

Man that is great, Thank you so much