Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR Parent vs. Onkyo AVR

The builtin Onkyo AVR driver controls my TX-RN710, albeit does not appear to have Zone 2 controls.
The custom Onyko Multi-Zone AVR Parent version: 0.9.210320.1 has Zone 1-4 controls, but it does not control the AVR. The device is running under "USER" source.
I think I understand the basics of the eISCP protocol and the setup, however I must be missing some key information.
My ultimate goal is to use the Alexa app to control both AVR Zone 1-2 setting
so that I can get away from using an old IR controller.

The Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver was written to control all available zones and effectively replaces the built in driver. I'm not sure I understand what isn't working. Are you unable to control both zones with the multi-zone driver installed?

Nothing works on the Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver for the TX-RN710. I suspect it has something to do with eISCP header data, perhaps the version number. I thought about setting a Wireshark capture of both the Onkyo AVR and the Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver in order to spot the differences, however it would be somewhat difficult since the Onkyo's Ethernet port on the switch would have to be mirrored.
Perhaps a version parameter setting maybe needed.
I noticed that the parent driver "Send Msg" throws an error.

Screen shots of the logs with "Enable description text logging" and "Enable debug logging" turned on for the main and zone 2 zones would be helpful to see what's going on. Specifically, I'd be curious to see the log entries when you click the "Initialize" button on each zone.

I'm not sure if you read through the entire Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver thread but there's some useful info so it's worth a read through. Also, users have reported having to remove the native Onkyo driver and rebooting the hub in order for the hub to successfully establish a telnet connection to the receiver from the multi-zone driver.

Here is the AVR Main log for hitting Initialize:

Here is the AVR Zone 2 log for hitting Initialize:

Just for info here is the AVR parent log for a Send Msg:

I carefully read though Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver thread...

I removed the builtin Onkyo AVR device and reboot the Hubitat.
Now it is working.

If you have info on howto use the Onkyo Multi-Zone AVR driver the Alex app, please share.

Glad you got it working.

The Onkyo AVR shows up in the Alexa app as a "Switch" Type device that only has a power button. Do you have any infomation or insight how to control the AVR device via the Hubitat Amazon Alexa Skill through to the Alexa Echo?

Others such as:
Example: Using Rule Machine so I can ask Alexa to play the radio on my Sonos through Denon AVR X3400
Noted to use a Hubitat virtual switch refected back to Alexa that issues a rule on the Hubitat to control the AVR when activated from Alexa.

I'm not sure if there is a better choice to have the Alexa skill variables to be reflected directly to Alexa from Hubitat.

Alexa control is pretty much limited to lights (dimmers) and switches. So you'll need to create a virtual switch on the HE hub that's exposed to Alexa and then create a RM rule that acts on the switch on or off state change to do what you want with the Onkyo. You can create an Alexa Routine to make the action a bit more conversational.

The behavior where by the Muti-Zone AVR driver failed due to an already installed builtin AVR driver, means the problem could reside in either the Onkyo or the Hubitat. According to the Onkyo documentation (next to last line of the XLS Protocol) the AVR can support up to 5 TCP sessions. This indicates that the problem is likely a Hubitat bug.

Could be a lot of things. At the end of the day, does it really matter? I can't think of many use cases where you'd need more than one device to control the same Onkyo receiver from the same HE hub.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.