One or two rules

I have a set of rules to control a thermostat when the security panel is armed / disarmed and sometimes it seems like they do not work. I am wondering if a single rule would work better or does the hub need to see one rule to turn on and one rule to turn off. Below are the two rules currently used
Thanks

I assume your multi-relay is connected to your security panel which forms your trigger events, armed on RELAY 1 and DISARMED on RELAY 2.

Whether this is one rule or two doesn't matter, as long as the logic is correct. This should work, and you could also have written a single rule to trigger on either relay 1 or relay 2, then use a conditional to determine which action was appropriate.

There are several reasons it may not always be working, to include your z-wave mesh network dropping the events (not capturing the change). I would set full logging on the relay and on both rules, then try to capture an instance when it doesn't work. The logs should help you narrow down where to start looking.

1 Like

Logging will be your friend to help determine the cause. Your Rules look fine to me, and I suspect they are not the problem--but turning on trigger and action logging (or more if you want) for the Rule is the way to see for sure. More likely, your devices simply aren't responding, as @demillerusn also guessed. (Logging for the devices can be helpful, too, but keep in mind that debug logging auto-disables itself after 30 minutes on most drivers and doesn't always show what commands were run--that depends on the driver. DescriptionText/info logging will show what events the device sent to the hub were parsed into events by the driver but doesn't necessarily show you what was sent to the device. But if the Rule/app logs say it was sent, it was probably sent.)

As for your Rules themselves, I think they are fine as-is. Combining them into one Rule isn't impossible but would be more of a headache than is worth it, I think, while providing no advantage (other than perhaps complying with a compulsion some people have to put as much as they can in one Rule for similar automations). It would also come with the disadvantage that you then have to do more work in your actions to figure out why the Rule triggered and what you should be doing in response, when you could just respond to the trigger--a specific known event, as you have it now--and perform your actions.

3 Likes