One of two light bulbs on same light fixture randomly stops responding

Not 100% sure since I live in an apartment and so can’t see what’s in the ceiling, the light fixtures are recessed. But there must be some kind of transformer up next to the fixture, and when I pull down the trim to change a bulb, they plug into a connector like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/301667505

@bangali you’re getting warmer :grin:, but I would still have to deal with the voltage transformer (I’m assuming any bulb that comes with a standard E26 base requires 120V though I haven’t actually looked into that).

bit of googling suggests its all ice cold from here … should have considered line voltage first … i am giving up on this one.

hope your repeaters repeat peacefully. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I wish the lightify bulbs would just mind their own business and not bother even attempting to repeat.

@JDRoberts any suggestions on how to try to adjust a zigbee mesh so that it avoids repeating through unreliable bulbs?

My understanding is that Zigbee devices are pretty sticky when it comes to associations with zigbee routers. My only advice would be to de-energize the Lightify Bulbs, then shutdown your hub for at least 15 minutes to force a Zigbee Heal process to be initiated. After the hub is back up, and all other Zigbee devices are know to be working, then power on the Lightify bulbs. Hopefully the other devices will keep their current router associations.

1 Like

Yeah that will hopefully help for other devices, but I think it will be trickier to fix the bulbs trying to route through one another...

As @ogiewon mentioned, the only way to keep a zigbee child from choosing A specific device as a potential repeater is to have that second device off power when you do a heal. And then that only lasts until the next time The address tables are rebuilt.

From the description above it does sound like there may be a "buffer overflow" problem on this network. So my first question would be how busy is the network?

One) are there any energy reporting devices on the zigbee network?

1. are you doing any forced polling/refreshes?

2. are there sufficient repeaters for the number of end devices? That's not just the total number, it also depends on their physical placement relative to the end devices

3. when did you last do a zigbee heal to rebuild the address tables?

4. also, just because it's summer, by any chance are there ceiling fans operating within about 20 feet of the light fixtures, including on floors above or below? Ceiling fans are notorious for creating intermittent blockage of RF signals.

( I think it unlikely that the two bulbs are acting as repeaters for each other, by the way. That would be a really weird network configuration since they're physically so close together.)

My understanding, at least the last time I checked, is that the hubitat hub supports a smaller number of direct connect zigbee children than the smartthings hub. If that still true, it might mean the network backbone has to be strengthened in order to support the same level of efficiency with hubitat.

@mike.maxwell

1 Like

FYI - The latest firmware (v1.1.1) for Hubitat increased the direct connect number of Zigbee children from 20 to 32 devices.

3 Likes

Does the hub periodically do that on its own?

Or only when I force it by leaving it unplugged for 15 mins?

we bumped our direct connect count to 32 in release 1.1.1

3 Likes

i have replaced both on HE and ST where there were more than one lightify bulbs in the same fixture with one lightify and remaining sengleds. once i did that random problems with one or more of the bulbs in the same fixture becoming unresponsive both on HE and ST has stopped.

one thing i have also noticed since putting in the xbees my zigbee device response not just on HE but also on ST as well has been super consistent. i am not sure why that is and need to dig in at some point to see if i can figure out why that is.

1 Like

If you really want to dig in, there's always this option:

1 Like

I wonder if my lightify bulbs will be less flaky if I try to update their firmware.

I still have a v2 ST hub in a box (#nomigrationtool) that I could use for that purpose.

nah … tried that already … i was always on v2.