[OLD] MQTT app beta1 and pre beta2 - please use beta3 thread

I've noticed that when I restart home assistant, all mqtt devices from HE become unavailable. I fix, I need to open the MQTT app in HE, and click next through the pages, then it spins for a while, returns me to the HE app screen and everything comes back in home assistant. Any ideas?

@andrew2 In configuration under MQTT Publish Formats thereā€™s a drop down labeled
Home Assistant MQTT Discovered Topics
Set it to ā€˜Rememberā€™

@hovee - I built the cover implementation based on an IKEA blind published from HA - it discovers and reflects status fine in HE but...I may have not finalised this until beta 2. You might have to wait a short while .. I have not implemented an HA automation script to control the cover from HE (back to HA) however yet.

Ah yes that works. Thanks!

That makes sense! Iā€™ll try and get it working by splitting stuff up for the time being. Appreciate all the work youā€™re doing!

I have a feature request... Audio Zones.

I have written a python driver and flask API for a Monoprice 6-zone audio system (I have 2 stacked for 12 zones). I'd like to make this thing support the homie3 schema and bring it into the HE via your MQTT app.

Here's the JSON I generate for zone 21 (unit 2, output 1) to give you an idea of all of the attributes for each zone:

{
"21": {
"balance": "10", 
"bass": "14", 
"dnd": "00", 
"keypad": "01", 
"mute": "00", 
"name": "Office", 
"pa": "00", 
"power": "01", 
"source": "06", 
"sourcename": "Sonos", 
"treble": "13", 
"volume": "05"

}
}

This would be pretty easy for me to convert my python app into a daemon that supported MQTT/homie3.

A zone is an output, which can be modified. Notice there is an attribute for the source and sourcename. There are 6 total inputs, but there's nothing on these that can be modified settingwise. So I don't think I have to publish inputs to mqtt. I could just say that $source is an integer between 01-06.

I was going to write an HE app that talked to my flask-based API for this, but I would rather do this via MQTT and python.

My lighting bridge publishes to homie3/lt2000/. I would presumably just publish this to homie3/mp6z/. Or, is that not possible for the app to have multiple homie3 devices right now?

The app only imports from one other homie device currently home/device...
Is homie3 a sub topic (device) of /homie i.e. /homie/homie3 ? homie 3 is not a valid root level topic. Perhaps you could implement this currently as nodes within your parent device though. homie/homie3/mp6z-nodes

It is likely that I will support multiple homie top level devices shortly as subscribes and publishes 'mostly' work already if you configure them (or even change the discovery topics after completion). Just not the startup wildcards. In beta2 subscriptions are made to individual enabled devices (as mentioned above) for both HA and homie rather than relying on wildcarding so that effectively enables devices in other topics (as long as I create the /set topic subscriptions).

If you do propose a homie AV topic make sure that it is complete and well thought through to encompass not just your own device and it's nodes , capabilities / attributes but all such devices such that it is useful as a template for others.

Then it makes sense to homie discover such a device and import it into the HE AV capability (virtual AudioVolume) and possibly others. There is not a HE virtual driver for zones as such. An AV amp would comprise multiple capabilities

Otherwise the best approach would be to treat it as a custom 'zones' device and import it manually. Which device driver(s) would you use for such a device ?

Sorry, I meant to say "homie" as the top level topic, not "homie3". My lighting controller is under "homie/lt2000". I wanted to put the audio controller under "homie/mp6z".

As for the audio control on HE and required drivers for it, the main thing I need is to be able to change the input on individual zones, and the volume. For now, I don't care about the rest of the stuff, but it would be nice to have at some point. I also have a rackmount AM/FM radio that is controllable over serial, and was thinking of making a serial->MQTT bridge for this also.

@kevin Understood that Thermostats arenā€™t supported yet. Just wondering if they will be and if so any timeframe? Love to get my aircon into HE from HA.

It's on the ToDo but not at the top yet - I just want to ensure HE/MQTT is solid and then pay some attention to HA <> HE

You can import the individual 'climate' payloads already into HE via virtual device if you only need limited functionality, like on/off or temperature change.

@kevin First off thanks for the great work on this. I have HE -> MQTT -> HA working and I can see my devices from HE in HA and can control most of them from both ends. The only one I can't seem to control from HA is my Zwave connected August Lock. I can see the lock status and lock the door however I cannot unlock the door from HA over MQTT to HE. New to MQTT and HA but thought I'd see what the expected behavior is.

Thanks Huy, glad it's working for you - tell me in the first page configuration do you have this enabled ?

It might just be the security restriction..

Someone has reported the MQTT status not updating when a lock is manually unlocked/locked - are you seeing that too ? I don't have any locks to check against.

LOL so simple I'm ashamed I didn't even see that setting... Also I have no issues seeing the update when I manually lock and unlock

Thanks Huy that's your 'friendly' name yes ?. Keep the feedback coming it helps everyone.

Kevin

Yep that's my name. So of my devices I've noticed the following:

Valves (open/close) and CO detectors aren't appearing but smoke detectors are.

I have added valves in beta 2 but so far not CO . If I get a chance I'll include those too. I was sort of on an 'on request' path with these less popular devices.

This is an internal HE device yes ?? (not HA)

K

1 Like

All my devices are on HE and I'm wanting to use this to use HA for a frontend

2 Likes

I think a lot of people have the same idea. HE>HA is more complete than the reverse.
Keep us posted here ...

... on your progress and the UI you have chosen in HA (Lovelace or other) and why. I'll try and make it as easy and complete as possible.

1 Like

Curious when will beta2 be released? :slight_smile:

He said mid-February. It isn't quite the exact middle yet. :wink: