[OLD] MQTT app beta1 and pre beta2 - please use beta3 thread

Hi, I am running the beta release pushing everything to Home Assistant and controlling some lights from a dashboard there. I'm just curious what I should be expecting in terms of response time for toggling lights? I'm seeing about a full second delay, and I wanted to ask here and see if that's more or less expected, or if I should look around for potential optimizations.

@aswest92 Which beta version ?

pre beta2 has some significant speed improvements ... and beta3 maybe a little faster again. This is time from pressing a button in HA to the bulb changing physical state ?

Is it on Z-Wave .. ZigBee and how long does it take using local control from HE ?

I'm about 600mS here

Which beta version ?

I installed off of the beta branch. I can try with pre-beta-2 and see what happens. Yeah this is an estimate but I'd say from button push in HA dashboard to physical bulb toggle is a solid second.

Is it on Z-Wave .. ZigBee

I'm using Zigbee Sengled bulbs.

how long does it take using local control from HE ?

State change from Hubitat directly is pretty snappy, I'd say consistently around 250ms.

Another quick question I have: I have light groupings set up in HA and when I toggle those through HA, the lights turn off in succession rather than all at once. Just curious if you know off the top of your head what the solution to that would be?

Thank you

That is because HA is sending individual commands over statestream for each HE bulb when you change the group. Let me have a think of the best approach to use.

What are you grouping your bulbs with currently on HE and can/does that show as a device on MQTT ?

Otherwise the best approach is likely to create and publish a HE virtual switch that controls the HE group and control that from HA.

Otherwise the best approach is likely to create and publish a HE virtual switch that controls the HE group and control that from HA.

I did try that briefly when I was running the alpha version of the MQTT app but I saw some really strange behavior on the HA side. I can try again now that I'm running beta if it's possible there would be a difference

I didn't see a problem report... what was it ?

Everything is working beautifully so far with this! Using pre-beta-2 branch and have had no issues, aside from network anomalies. Just to be clear, this currently does not support Z-wave thermostats connectivity with HA? I have a radio thermostat and I havent bothered to setup a template in HA because the thermostat wasnt playing well with the app. Other than that, everything is a beauty. My home automation dream is now mostly true!

The publishing and HA discovery of a thermostat from HE to HA mostly works I think .. try it and see, and let me know how you get on. It should certainly create a thermostat device but I have a feeling I'm supplying too many setpoint values and that confuses it a bit. Would value your feedback. I don't have a thermostat so I based it on the virtual one.

However the reverse of HE discovering HA climate devices (thermostats) isn't implemented yet, but it's moving up on the list.

If it helps, when setting the thermostat as discoverable by the discovery protocol (auto mqtt descovery though homeassistant) the thermostat shows up as several different sensors. Im thinking maybe Ill leave it as is and create a template in HA to manually push out the commands rather than letting it be discovered.

I may be confused re pre beta2 and beta 3 - it certainly creates a single thermostat for me ..

I would hang on a few more days for beta3

In your homeassistant discovery tree do you have a climate entry with a long 'config' payload ?

Let me double check. I may have accidentally used the first beta when I noticed the setup. Ill get back to you in about 5 minutes

This is a long and confusing thread .. when I release beta3 (shortly) I shall close this and get a new one started !

beta3 is a parent app with a child MQTT device driver and substantially reduces event usage. It also reworks virtual devices so don't invest time creating many of those currently. It adds json support too.

beta3 will at last I hope be feature complete with just extra devices to be added and a bit of work on homie device auto discovery to include later and any bug fixes, so going forward probably one more beta (4) and then a release version at last

1 Like

Interesting! So I dont want to fill the thread with misleading information, but when the thermostat is set in the mqtt app, and is auto discovered in HA through the mosquitto mqtt plugin, a climate device through mqtt must be set in the configuration file or HA is automatically supposed to create climate device? Apologies for misleading info.

Yes - does it not ?
Is that climate discovery topic and config entry created on MQTT ?
No need for an entry in configuration.yaml
It may be in your 'unused devices' area .. or it may not be there at all :wink:

Unable to show a screenshot, perhaps because Im a new user, however, the thermostat does show up as an MQTT device. In the Device info page, it shows the list of entities
"coolingSetpoint"
"heatingSetpoint"
"FanMode"
"FanModes"
etc.

Perhaps I am missing something? (Not the other entities. They are there)

I will be requesting closure of this thread when I release beta3

The new thread is here but for beta3 related issues only please.

In the meantime beta1/2 issues continue here but I will only actively support the latest released version

1 Like

excited to test this out. Thank you!

Firmware v2.2.0 has been released now for the hub.

IF you upgrade and IF you have a very busy MQTT setup with messages exchanged with your broker every few seconds and IF you experience any new slowdown after you have upgraded, then contact me re. early access to beta3.

Beta3, which is currently being tested with some users, changes from using events to a parent child setup which means that the backups that HE has to perform can complete quicker if there are lots of events. As 2.2.0 changes the way backups are prioritised, beta3 is recommended with this new firmware. Beta3 should be out for everyone this weekend anyway.

I'd love to try Beta 3 - some inconsistencies sinces moving to 2.2.x

@shane1. Dot you have a lot of updates from MQTT to HE - say more than one every 2 seconds ? Are your inconsistencies to do with speed?

If not I'd very much like details / bug reports as moving to 2.2.x should only really effect backup speeds under very heavy MQTT traffic.