[OLD] MQTT app beta1 and pre beta2 - please use beta3 thread

Kevin,

I'm having a similar problem as @gcaley. I have a virtual switch created for a MQTT switch device. When I trigger the MQTT command using another client HE seems to react; creating a rapid on/off cycle. I killed and restarted the broker to break the cycle. Any ideas on why this is happening?

For the moment avoid that... I believe it’s fixed in beta3.

Are you using custom attributes or the default on off ?

Kevin,

I verified 'List devices Capabilities and Attributes to Hubitat topic. All devices a checked.
Restarted the hub.

Under Hubitat/, I get this:
Hubitat

For some reason, only one of the two vents is present in the topic.

Homie/ discovers both but both show:
homie

If that was a response to my post-- yes, I'm using the default on/off. I checked the HE logs and the app seems to be repeated logging the same received message. This happens even when the broker is killed and there is no MQTT connection. The only way to make it stop is to remove the device from HE. For example...

This is just an excerpt. The log continues for hundreds of messages.

I am after a couple of testers to try beta3 . Inparticular you should be using virtual MQTT devices i.e. those created from MQTT into HE virtual drivers. If you have an issue with pre alpha2 latest even better. PM me if you can help.

1 Like

Hey I am trying to get this to work but having issues, I can confirm my data is in the MQTT Explorer but the virtual devices aren't mirroring what i am seeing. Any help would be appreciated...I have tried a bunch of things...my settings etc are below.

@jpenrod3 - sorry hang on for next release , illluminance was just added in beta2 and creation of a virtual device updating from a custom JSON MQTT topic/payload is not going to work for you.

This JSON feature is added in beta3 - coming very soon.

BTW the topic you will need to enter in beta3 will be will be miflora/Lavender{light} or miflora/Lavender/{light} - haven't settled on which to use yet..

my mqtt daemon can be set to a few different formats, json, mqtt-json, homie-mqtt and a few others would changing it be recommended? I really am only interested in moisture but was using illuminace to test.

Your up against two issues the support for illuminance attribute updates and the json format. Certainly you could get the value into something like a HE variable or some common sensor - it might go into illuminance I'm not sure. It will in beta3.

The json format you have two options in beta2. You could read the whole json 'string' into a text variable and somehow you might be able to split out the 'light' value using say WebCore - not sure you can do it in Rule Machine.

Or if your software will publish 'light' as a separate topic you can use that directly which would be easier. However the topic you create must be outside of the homie/ tree or it won't be considered as a virtual device.

My recommendation is to await beta3 or I can maybe enlist your help as a tester and you could try this weekend with a pre release ?

What is the mqtt daemon you are using - sounds very flexible ? Is it an inbuilt miflora option ?

Yea I am just wanting the flora sensors to show moisture levels in HE, the daemon i found is this one

its specific to the sensors. I am totally willing to beta test it just let me know.

@kevin, I love this connector! I would love to help you test. I have around 100 devices attached via Zigbee to my HE. I also have HA on a Pi4 with RabitMQ + MQTT plugin.

I did a clean install and the only two "gotcha" issues I had were:

1. I was getting "null" in my tree because I forgot to put in the HA discovery topic. I thought that it was defaulting to "homeassistant" and I didn't enter anything in the HE config.

2. No devices were showing up in HomeAssistant. I found one of the other threads that said you cannot use the "select all" options. Once I went back through and selected them all manually , the HE devices started populating HA.

I am getting an error every time I send a MQTT push to the HE driver. See attached screenshot:

Also getting a bunch of errors on Sonos devices:

@MrYutz The errors are misleading, they should really just be infos , it just means there are topics I’m not supporting yet. What version of the beta are you using ?

With this, would this project work with hubitat? Thank you

https://bitbucket.org/pjhardy/anovamaster/src/master/

Yes, with beta 3 when released as that adds json support.

Sooo excited, when could that be released
Edit: wait, it won’t work, hubitat doesnt do bt

I only looked at that project briefly but it essentially uses other hardware to get onto MQTT. I’m assuming you already have that working.

Any Bluetooth adapter supported by Linux should work.

My app would get you from MQTT in/out to HE.

Oh, ok

Apparently it doesn’t work for gen 4. The developer needs me to buy him one to get the new bt “code”

I’d like to write a new ‘Tesla’ app if only I had one to test against :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I'll test it for you :innocent: