Oil tank level sensor?

When I read about the Sinope and looked at the mounting, I got the impression it is a single level sensing device. Not continuous level.

What do you mean JohnRob? Sorry if thats a dumb question!

The PT device is rated for oil usage as well IIRC, and has a completely local WiFi driver available for it.

2 Likes

It "appears" by the wording and attachment method that this device will be attached to the side of a tank and report when the level goes below that mounting location.
So if you mount it at a level of 1/4 tank, then it will alert you when the level goes below 1/4/tank.

I could be wrong, I'm only basing this on the wording and what appears to be the mounting. The mounting does not seem to somehow enter into the tank.

However the "Fuel Level Remote Gauge FLRG48" might be the part that is needed to measure actual level. However I've never seen a sensor that intrudes into the tank used on propane. Especially with what appears to be a plastic flange.

BTW The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask :slight_smile:

UPDATE: I just saw a different Sinope page The monitor attached by a magnet to the tank housing but does not appear to be the level sensor.
So now I only know that I don't know enough about this to make a comment.

My 1000 gallon propane tank came with a remote ready RD3 dial.
I just plugged my tank utility into it and it works.
It seems like the forthcoming Sinope sensor can plug into that dial, which is a good thing, since I wouldn't want to empty the tank just to install a gauge.
I've read, I think on the Tank Utility site, that an RD3 dial can also be used with a fuel oil tank, so that's a possibility.l
Or, just get the FLRG48 for your oil tank.

Key would be a Hubitat driver. Without it, it's useless. @mike.maxwell assures us that they've done a driver for every Sinope device sent to them. I have an email into Sinope support to see if they plan on following through on their end.
As a side note, I had to install a new WIFI extender because the old one crapped out. Now the propane tank is incommunicado. Have to look up the re-inclusion process (there are magnets and colored lights involved), and then tromp out in the snow (it's snowing now) to the tank.

Sounds like my Tank Utility monitor. The monitor sticks onto the tank by magnet and there's a wire that plugs into a dial connection, either on the RD3, or the FLRG48 mentioned above. As a side note, I believe most propane tanks come with an RD3 dial.

Here is a video of installation.

1 Like

I'm a little late to this party but, back before I switched over to gas heat, I had oil. At that time, I calculated the consumption per degree day and was able to calculate fairly well how much oil was consumed and when I needed to fill the tank. The degree day data can usually be found fairly easily. I still do the calculation with the gas heat as a check on the system health but, of course, i don't have to fill a tank any longer.

OFF TOPIC comment on that video -

That was such a simple, clear, straight forward and music-less presentation with all the important "gotchas highlighted".

The guy should contract himself out for other instructional videos where homeowners might go: "But I'll need to call a plumber and pay $200 just to install this".

I get automatic delivery, the oil company does this to estimate when to refill the tank.

Is there any possibility the inexpensive wifi level sensor could be used without the cloud?

@velvetfoot I’ve lost track, which WiFi sensor are you asking about?

There were some upthread in the 100 dollar range. Looking at Amazon, they all seem to be the same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Heating-Gallon-Addition-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B0BRK9ZNDK
maybe that's a clone of this?

Doesn’t say anything about it, but you may be able to do a packet capture using something like WireShark and develop an API …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.