Occasional stuck switches, delays, system seems to need expert handling

I have a Hubitat Elevation purchased in Sep 2019. I have 92 z-wave devices in the house, mostly Leviton switches. It is two stories with a basement. The Hubitat is fairly central in the house, but I still experience pretty big propagation delays in some areas, and sometimes I'm experiencing stuck z-wave switches (about once every two weeks) . The hard part about this is that every time this happens, I have to remove the devices, recreate them and create new rules for them. This is a pain, and definitely makes the house impractical for a non-techie to live in for any extended period of time. Anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this? Is it possible to place multiple hubitats throughout the house to improve delays? Also, is there a safer way to get switches unstuck without resetting them? Finally, I never seem to be able to create rules involving my leviton dimmers. They just don't seem to do anything or have events registered.

I'm hoping to get this system running reliably enough that we could have guests staying in the house for extended periods of time without them having to constantly baby it.

I have about 45 z-wave devices of which about 15 or so are Leviton switches (DZ!5S) and dimmers (DZ6HD). They are all about 1 to 2 years old. In that period I have had 2 or 3 switches get stuck, By stuck I mean the relay would get stuck and you could not turn the physical switch on or off. I reset the circuit breaker and this usually fixes it. I had 1 or 2 that I had to replace because they started to fail (get stuck) more often. I replaced them with Zooz. I have not had a problem with the Zooz switches.

I have not had any problems with setting up rules for my Leviton dimmers. Do your dimmers respond to actions from their device pages? Can you turn them on/off and set the levels from the device pages?

Welcome to the community!

Also, it might help us diagnose your issues if you could post screenshots of your z-wave details (under settings).

1 Like

Thanks, Sakman. I will try resetting the circuit breaker next time a switch gets stuck. I'll check on the dimmers and return and report. Thanks for all your advice!

1 Like

Zwave, or Zwave plus? Older Zwave acts a lot different than the newer Plus stuff does. The older Zwave often needs polling, as one example, to work correctly. The older stuff seems to not work nearly as well, and will be much slower by design.

Which model? Have you ever updated the firmware? There were some Leviton that act very strange on older firmware from what I have seen people report on the forums.

Apparently Leviton will send a firmware update USB stick to you for free. Or you might be able to find the firmware on this or other forums if you do some digging. I don't have any of these, so I don't know if I can help any more specifically with the Leviton.

I would add that some of this older stuff might be due for a replacement device if a certain switch in your network is always failing. The life of a lot of these smart switches can be pretty short (5 years or so) so I wouldn't be shocked if you had some failing devices. Of course if you purchased dozens of these at the same time, you could have a lot of failing switches at the same time.

OK, to provide more detail: my switches are Leviton DZ15S-1BZ and my dimmers are Leviton DZ6HD-1BZ. Both of them claim to support Z-Wave Plus.