Observations about Other Platforms

You don't know how much you appreciate RM until you really look at other options.

I still maintain a friends ST system. He's reluctant to change. Was looking at the Automations in the new ST app. I figured out to do one of my automations would take 4 separate automations in ST. Whereas in RM I do it with one.

I pointed this out in ST forum. Other than WebCore which I think is way too complicated, not sure there is a good way. I was told to look at the new rule API. Wow, got lost there pretty quick. Apparently there are people working on apps to use that API, but nothing there yet.

So it appears HE is light years ahead with it's RM. But that's my opinion.

4 Likes

Even RM itself has come along way, 8 months ago under RM 3.0 took twice as many rules to do now with RM 4.0

2 Likes

It's funny how our perception changes.
When I left ST I had everything running on webCoRE and could knock up a complicated piston relatively quickly. I loved it.
Now I've got into RM4 I find that it is my 'go to' rule engine.
I suppose it is just what we get used to.
What I will say though is I still find webCoRE easier to get round but I'm more than happy with RM.

It’s funny, I never used webcore and don’t have RM installed on any of my hubs..

1 Like

Yeah, but you being a programmer can get by with your own apps. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, all the apps I have ever released have been originally created for my own needs

But if I ever had a problem, and support advises me to disable all my custom apps... my hubs would not be doing anything! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I still have ST and with no programming background. I find WebCore is way easier to learn than RM4. Editing a complicate rule is much easier because of the UI of WebCore. But hey, there's a reason why I am here. :grin:

I loved webcore. I hated that it took 2 minutes to see a light turn on after you've triggered a sensor. I'll sacrifice a UI to have the community we have. If you can't make it work on your own, someone will help you to make it work. And very few haters here. It's just nice. I'll sacrifice the convenience of webcore any day for a knowledgeable and helpful community. And I have a blazing fast hub now.

2 Likes

Yeah, but sometimes consolidating things and making a single rule more complicated isn't actually better in the long run.

I'm with Bruce in thinking "rules are free", use as many as it takes to make it readable and understandable. Don't consolidate rules just because you can.

5 Likes

THAT. I've been having better luck by simplifying my rules instead of crowding them together into a big long line. I posted that question out there once "just because it's available to do in RM, doesn't mean that you should." I agree with you 100%

4 Likes

And I’ve a new mantra, don’t use RM when “there’s a Ap for that”.

4 Likes

Bruce recently mentioned KISS. @april.brandt wasn't it you who suggested KISS method long time ago?

1 Like

As far as using more than 1 rule. The example that I was using to compare was a sequential type thing. And I felt it easier to troubleshoot in 1 rule rather than several. But either way is good. Actually I now use my own app for this example and not RM, but was making a point. In fact I have moved all my RM and Simple Lighting to my own apps. I think it improved my performance and I haven't experienced any slowdowns since.

I used WebCore for a while when I was with ST. I thought the UI was harder to use than the one here in RM. But maybe that's just me.

I have a friend that I had set up on ST about a year ago. With the new changes coming, or supposedly coming to ST, I was mainly making sure I could still do what he wanted. And ran into that rule scenario. I think I have him convinced to switch to HE so it won't matter anyway.

I guess my whole point here was I think HE's stuff is much better than ST's. But again it's my preference and others think along other lines.

This post kinda got rambling, hope it is understandable...

3 Likes

I won't take credit, but yes. I've mentioned it here a time or two.

1 Like

I liked WebCore because it reminded me of PASCAL I learned at high school those days.
I like RM because it does the job. I've been so many times just about to post here on community WHY THIS RULE DOES NOT WORK just to realize it does. It was me to create wrong triggers, wrong actions or a mixture of them.

1 Like

I keep recommending KISS to my friends. Thanks to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I completely agree with you and I feel that HE is far superior than ST in many ways. I'm one of those "should learn" the code people and never do. So, you have a one up to command your hub to do only the tasks you need instead of catering to the masses. I'm a bit jealous.

2 Likes

@Cobra Since you don't have a RM installed how come you're one of us?
Please admit you did install it then you made your own apps and removed RM as an unnecessary addition to your own masterpieces of code :slight_smile:

Lol
Actually, most of my original apps like Message Central were created on Smartthings then I ported them to Hubitat :slight_smile:

When I was helping out with HE support, I did install it on my dev hub so I could recreate users’ problems when needed
When I stopped working for HE, I didn’t need it anymore.

And

1 Like

Except their not free, really. Each time a rule has to call another rule, there is additional overhead, and that's not even mentioning if you have to use global vars between them.