Null error on zwave parse

I've had this reported to me a few times, so thought I would ask smarter people. :slight_smile:

Occasionally someone reports that my GE switch/dimmer drivers throw an error in the logs. I've never seen this myself, so haven't spent much time trying to fix it.

I've had a similar problem before where class versions weren't supported, but in this case I am specifying the class versions explicitly:

Line 113 referenced in the error below:

def cmd = zwave.parse(description, [0x20: 1, 0x25: 1, 0x56: 1, 0x70: 2, 0x72: 2, 0x85: 2])

The error they see:

2020-05-25 10:59:08.809 am errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'null' with class 'null' to class 'short'. Try 'java.lang.Short' instead on line 113 (parse)

Any thoughts on understanding what is going on here? Like I said, I can't make my devices do it, so am at a little bit of a loss on how to proceed.

I wonder if it's similar to the error that some of us started seeing in the logs for our Fibaro Dimmer 2, using a custom driver. Our error is not exactly the same, but also mentions a null object while trying to parse. It's mentioned in this post:

The line reference in the error message:

def cmd = zwave.parse(description, [0x20: 1, 0x84: 1, 0x98: 1, 0x56: 1, 0x60: 3])

Nothing you are doing in your code is casting to short so you can pretty easily guess that the parse method is throwing that exception underneath. I would catch it and then print out "description" so that you can report it to Mike.

Agreed. I've asked those that report it to turn on debug logging and send me the logs when it does it.

I guess I'll just sit tight until someone does so I can see what description actually looks like.