Nuisance Trips on New-Fangled Circuit Breakers

Closer to home, in Oregon and New Jersey, you can't pump your own gas. Ostensibly because you aren't trained to do so. I'd love to see the statistics on gas station fires in OR and NJ compared to the rest of the US.

1 Like

When I do travel to NJ, it seems quite the luxury to have someone pump your gas.

No offense, but for a guy who is convinced they did this for all the wrong reasons, literally every post in this thread you made was prefaced with "I think this, with no facts to back it up." While I can't prove you wrong, I certainly hope the NEC wouldn't reverse a safety decision when the objection was admittedly not based on facts but opinions/imaginings/beliefs (your words). I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just calling out for anyone reading this thread about something that many believe is a life saving device that, in your own words, you've literally said you don't have facts to back of your claims.

2 Likes

I LOVE not having to pump my own gas in Oregon. No standing is the wind and rain (yes, this happens in Oregon), no smelly hands. Plus, jobs for more people. Win win! And prices aren't much different than other states.

1 Like

The funny part was, until recently, NJ had some of the lowest gas prices in the country. Why? A large part of what we pay is actually taxes.

People's behavior gives you one guideline; when people make knowledgeable choices about their own lives. (As opposed to ignorant choices, if you can tell the difference, and if their choice isn't externally constrained severely.) It does look to me like people behave as if their lives are worth a lot less than we value them at in making public policy decisions.

1 Like

Your observation is correct. I should have stopped after my first post. I'm over excited (frustrated) on this subject. Most of my frustration has to do with the philosophy of mandating such a marginal device. I don't recall GFI's having a similar infancy issue.

The repeated "opinion" and "think" is to be sure folks understand this is my viewpoint based on cursory research.

While I understand and agree with the NEC requirements, this is not one I personally support (I realize no one cares if I support it or not).

The last I was involved with ArcFaults they were known to trip for no discernable reason. Yet they are mandated to be required for all receptacles inside the home no exceptions.** They don't mention how to deal with the refrigerator or freezer situation. Yet the mandate offers NO exceptions. Is it really statistically significant if I wish to change my ArcFaults on the freezer and refrigerator circuits?

I could also make an argument that in a nighttime home fire, tornado, earthquake where ArcFaults my be tripped for good reason. Yet result in lack of lighting to exit the home safely. Not a great situation.

** the requirement for new or major modification not withstanding

I'll be quiet now. (not meant in a sarcastically way).

4 Likes

Just one note. Freezers and fridges aren’t hardwired devices. The problem you’re not addressing is when someone unplugs the freezer and uses that outlet for something else. Either because they got rid of the freezer, moved it elsewhere, or temporarily needed to plug something else in (I needed to plug in a 20amp 16in concrete saw recently and the only 20A outlet near by was my basement freezer. I unplugged it for 30 mins and plugged it the saw). Likewise the previous owners had their freezer in the garage. The breaker is labeled “garage freezer.” I use it for running a space heater. My freezer is in the basement so I repurposed the garage receptacle which is 100% code compliant. A fridge or freezer isn’t like a range or dryer that has a special purpose plug guaranteeing almost nothing else will be plugged in nor a hard wired device like a water heater. It’s something anyone, you, a guest, a contractor, can unplug and plug something else in. Hence why the code applies to all receptacles.

@JohnRob We all have frustrations like this. We don't mind (actually appreciate) you feeling like you can vent here, because you also accept the input of others too.

I manage a data center (~15,000 sq ft of white space) and one of the big topics for our world is the code requirement (NFPA 70, aka NEC) for an Emergency Power Off (EPO). I get the rationale for it, to protect the firemen if they have to engage a fully involved fire in the data center. The code community is about evenly split on whether it should be a code requirement or not. I am in the no camp. These have a history of being "accidentally" triggered causing a hard shutdown of all computing systems.

Data centers typically have multiple layers of redundancy on all systems. We have two fire prevention system in the computer room, multiple utility power sources, generators automatic power switching, etc. We are also staffed 24/7 and perform at least hourly facility review walks looking for potential issues including fire sources. These are very complex facilities to shut down completely and properly.

For now it is in the code, and is unlikely to change, so most facilities just have to deal with it. Fortunately the AHJ agreed with us, so we don't have one.

2 Likes

@wayne.pirtle - I'm curious. Are these fire prevention systems or fire suppression systems? In my world, once upon a time, my reagent room was protected by a halon fire suppression system, but that was removed during a remodel.

1 Like

How about fire containment :slight_smile:

Some years ago Uniroyal had a chemical center a few towns away. I was told by a number of employees one of their laboratory buildings had walls with "hinges" at the top. The purpose was allow explosion expansion to escape then close down to contain the fire.

1 Like

The Force is strong with this one. :smiling_imp:

Yes, they more correctly called suppression systems. Double interlocked pre-action fire sprinkler in the ceiling and CO2 underfloor. :open_mouth: Yup, CO2. It was already there when I arrived.

1 Like