NTP Time Server drift

Installed a new C8 about a month ago and just noticed automations were running 5-6 minutes ahead of time.

I hit the FORCE button and everything synced up with the correct time. Why did ntp syncs stop? I did do a power down/shutdown a month ago. FYI I have a local ntp server on a linux box at 192,168,0,2 but I have other devices using it without any problems.

Does anyone else have any ntp issues with the C8?

Perhaps this old C-7 topic covers your questions:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/2-2-4-129-ntp-settings-c7/54499

1 Like

Thanks but page doesn't exist

Nothing like your screenshot is built in to the hub, so you must be using a custom driver for this. What driver is it, and do you see any errors in "Logs" from it? Looking through the thread the developer normally creates for those kind of thing would be a good idea, too, to see if anyone else noticed anything.

In general, it looks like that driver might create a schedule, and doing a "Save Preferences" may get it back on track if the issue is just that this schedule is missing (based on what it likely does with no specific knowledge of what you're using). The fact that refreshing it yourself works suggests it might just be this compared to total breakage. But if not, Logs, again, may provide more clues.

1 Like

The screenshot is of Dan.T's NTP Client driver. IT's what I've used for years as well, but the Platform got updated in 2020 to support:

At the bottom of the Driver Info page is the Schedule... if you don't have one, then @bertabcd1234 advice to click "Save Preference" is good advice.

1 Like

Is there something built-in to the hub now that does ntp syncing? I would love to use that instead. I installed this driver a very long time ago on my C7. Here is where I got it:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/ntp-client-local-ntp-server-support/23431

See above. :slight_smile:

I wasn't sure if maybe this driver did the same thing, but now that I know what it is, it appears not--just checks on its own and updates the hub time if needed.

The Platform's NTP feature updates time on each reboot. Thus the NTP Client you (and I) are using is "better" because it updates on an interval.

3 Likes

This is the driver / NTP config I use too, as I want it more often than only at hub startup. EDIT: See a few posts below for the in-box behavior.

3 Likes

I use this as well. This post prompted me to check on it. It does have a setting for "Minimum time difference between hub and NTP server to update time". You may want to make sure this is set nice and low. (Mine is set to 10 sec)

1 Like

Thanks everyone.
I think what happened is the TimeServer got 'stuck'. I've gone through a C8 migration and other changes so don't really know what caused it. Hitting the FORCE button seemed to fix everything so I do have the cron listing at the bottom of the page now.

IIRC the platform will attempt to sync every day in addition to at reboot.

Edit: Given the above statement, in addition to at reboot, the hub will attempt a sync immediately after sunrise (to calculate the next day's sunrise) and immediately after sunset (to calculate the next day's sunset).

1 Like

Apparently I stopped reading right there :smiley:

Thanks for clarifying.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.