Notify when fridge turns off?

We have a fridge in the garage that we use for beverages and other things that don't fit in our regular fridge. Sometimes its power cord gets nudged just enough for the fridge to lose power. I'm interested in receiving some kind of notification when this happens, so I can secure the plug again before anything has much of a chance to spoil.

I've considered something like Flush On/Off Thermostat 2 | Smart heating system with smart thermostat and trying to slip the probe inside the fridge door, but I'm not sure that's the best use of such a product.

I've also considered trying to get a smart plug for the fridge, but I'm not sure whether a fridge would be too much load.

Any suggestions for how to essentially monitor whether a fridge is operational, ideally with notifications/alerts of some kind?

Put a temp sensor inside the fridge.

Unless you are willing to get into the fridge wiring I agree the temp sensor is the best option. I suspect you will need a device with a remote sensor as I don't see a Z-Wave or ZIgbee working inside a metal box.

Another thought, could you just purchase a device to hold in the plug.

OR

You could get a short heavy extension cord, plug the fridge into the extension cord and monitor one of the other receptacle in the cord.

I have an Aeotec Switch that measures power consumption. I don't know if Hubitat supports current measurements.

Yes, devices like the Aeotec Switch and the Dome are the basis for Better Laundry Monitor. It detects consuming vs not consuming electricity and signals both. Sending a customizable alert "Laundry has finished."

Refrigerators obviously have constant low consumption, followed by high consumption. But a really long timeout interval will work. If you thought about "no electricity consumption for an hour, send an alert"

I have 5 these. Advantium Oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher and entertainment center. I used them in ST for over a year and they work fine in HE. I use them I haven’t actually tried to signal me if they get un-plugged but I’m going to try that out. ZOOZ ZEN15 | Power Switch I also use them to tell me when the washer and dryer are done, as well as turn off the dishwasher if my leak detector senses a leak.

~update~
This worked if I unplug the device from the Zen, assuming the device draws current when it’s plugged in, but not when the Zen is un-plugged from the wall. It would be pretty hard to accidentally unplug the Zen from the wall or the device from the Zen unless the wall outlet is totally worn out.

or maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZW15RM-PLUS-App-Controlled-Automation-Interchangeable/dp/B07991PBH9

Any power monitoring switch will suffice. I use Iris/Aeon/ST mostly. The Iris ones are my go to for any 110v device, like freezers/fridges.

I would trust that over a temp sensor. Radio waves generally don't go through freezer walls that easily, and it takes time for the temp to change and report.

I know immediately when my fridge/freezer loose power, as the meter is set to alert at 0 watts, as both have a small draw even when compressors/fans are off.

But if it loses power, can it report?

I think that speaks to a bigger issue that should be resolved. A simple ziptie can be used with a wall anchor to secure a plug or smart outlet to the wall.

My assumption would be a trip hazard with the cord or honestly a crappy old outlet would cause this problem, not simply someone brushing against it. Putting in a new outlet is easy and costs a couple bucks. Far less than a sensor or outlet.

But a secured smart outlet, with a power cord that gets bumped or yanked loose, would work great in this scenario.

Fix the problem, don't try to alert because of it, would be my first recommendation.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the recommendations!

@mike a temperature sensor inside the fridge was my very first instinct, but as @JohnRob and @michaelahess mentioned, I don't think it would work well inside a metal box. That's why I started considering a sensor that had a "separate" probe.

@keithcroshaw I am very curious about the options for current measurements with HE. I have one or two devices that supposedly report such information, but I haven't mucked with them too closely to try to access those measurements yet.

@csteele "Better Laundry Monitor" sounds like fun. Thank you for mentioning that!

@rudy based on your recommendation, and reviewing the product details, I went ahead and ordered a ZEN15 switch. I've seen it many times when scrolling through Amazon, but I never really read up on it for some reason. I was very encouraged by the fact that they specifically list refrigerators in their product information. I already have a few Zooz devices, and they've been pretty solid for me so far. Thank you for this recommendation and for running some tests for me!

@michaelahess you're absolutely right that there is a bigger issue to be resolved here. The outlets I'm using aren't loose by any means (I'm in a brand new house, completed June 2018). The problem is I have 4 pesky, mischievous kids. The fridge is plugged in near where their bikes and scooters are supposed to be. Usually the cord is displaced unintentionally in their excitement to go play outside. Occasionally, one or two of them will see that no one is currently watching them like a hawk, and they will do stupid shit like unplugging whatever they want just because why not. Damn kids.

Thanks again everyone. I'm very grateful for the suggestions and discussion!

Any interest in LOW tech... maybe even No Tech...

That's great! .... and incredibly boring :stuck_out_tongue:

It's probably the most practical option. Maybe I'll do that in addition to the ZEN15 that's on the way!

Where’s the fun in that? :slight_smile:

So I looked at my device with energy usage reporting and saw this:

• energy : 393.403

It could probably be used.

It's one of these:

I yell at my kids friends now more than my kids, they are trainable, barely! :smile:

How about a flat plug extension cord that drops straight to the floor, maybe with a few tacks holding it down?

Ok, there's an extra socket inside right? So mount a Aeon Multisensor or Dome Motion inside, then add a Siren. Make a rule that when that motion triggers, it sounds the alarm. It's inside under the cover, you'd have to open the cover.

...and then add a cam that takes a pic of the juvenile offender. :smiley:

Man, can really Rube Goldberg the heck outta this! :smiley:

Not to beat an innocent horse, I have monitored my fridge freezer temps reliably for about 2 years. Never had any issues using Samsung v4 contact sensor in the freezer and the Aeotec 6 in the fridge. Ignore,the inaccurate temp. I need to set offsets in HE. It was spot on with the mechanical thermometer in ST.

@keithcroshaw that looks like a decent plug. It looks like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQISOCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_eZQYBbNQR4576 is the newer Z-Wave Plus version of that. I've had my eye on that switch for a while. I encountered another similar switch that has two USB ports on it too...

Found it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTRZXHF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_n7QYBbJH4SAYW

@michaelahess you have too many practical suggestions. /s

@csteele you've got the right idea here. Why be practical when we can make it interesting and learn a thing or two!

@rudy thank you for sharing this! I will admit that I haven't yet tried to put a temperature sensor inside that fridge. It might work pretty well! I don't have any temperature sensors to spare right now, but I will consider the two you suggested if I end up wanting to do more than the ZEN15 offers.

1 Like

That Aeon is on my Dryer, The Dome is on my Washer. The Dome has a lower max amps vs the Aeon. My dryer hits 16 amps and the Dome only goes to 13.

sigh the reviews for so many of these smart devices are really hard to deal with. I usually filter out that Dome switch just based on the number of stars. It's good to know that it's working well for you!