Notify on error possible for smart lock?

Hi all,

I recently installed a Kwikset 99140-022 SmartCode 914 Z-Wave Plus Deadbolt.

The lock works fine with my hub, but I do have a question about notifications.

Right after installation I had issues where the lock would bind up when I closed the door and hit the lock button. The lock would generate a long beep, and the deadbolt would stop where it bound, not completely locked. I adjusted the strike plate and have hopefully eliminated the issue.

I'd like to set up a notification to warn me and my wife if the lock throws an error, just in case we're rushing and don't notice the beep after we hit the button.

Checking the Hubitat logs, I show no sign of anything I can use to indicate an error state. I just forced the lock to fail by holding the deadbolt when trying to lock it with the lock button and neither the Hubitat log nor the device page show any error, only that the lock is locked.

Has anyone here tried to capture an error to create a notification?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Assuming your lock attribute reports something like "unknown" when this happens (normal states are either "locked" or "unlocked"), then this is do-able with Rule Machine. Here's one way: Notifications app / door unlocked (as stated in that post, the current version of Notifications doesn't allow this, hence the suggestion for a Rule instead)

Hi Robert,

Yeah, that seems to be my problem. Even when I forced the lock to fail by holding the deadbolt when sending a lock request, the lock beeped to indicate an error but the log still indicated locked.

I'm hoping there's something I'm missing but it seems that there may be no way to establish an error state.

Thanks!

If your lock doesn't send some distinct message back on a "bad" attempt, then you won't be able to do anything in Hubitat about that since it won't know. There's a little hope: if you turn on debug logging for the device, do you see anything different in "Logs" for successful vs. unsuccessful attempts? (If you're not sure how to interpret what you see, feel free to post or PM it, though I'd be far less useful than a staff member here, and make sure you don't include lock codes in the logs--or anything you wouldn't want to share.) If so, staff might be able to modify the driver to better parse that data. If not (and there might not be: I'm not familiar with this particular lock, but there is some variation in what kinds of thing different ones report), then you're probably out of luck.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.