Notifications App

New kid on the block. Installed the app, went and got the doc on how to use (I know, remarkable). In the doc it says you can use the HE internal SMS function. However, I do not get the field for my phone number! Obviously, I'm overlooking something, but what??

Unfortunately built in SMS functionality was retred a while back...see the Retired App section of the post below. You can send notifications to the Hubitat mobile app, Pushover or other 3rd party notification apps. There are a few community built options available.

1 Like

Darn! If I get the pushover app for my iPhone, how do I integrate it with HE? As a device? Or do I load it into the HE?

Using Pushover is very easy and has been extremely reliable for me and my family. You first get a Pushover Account via the Pushover site, and then buy Pushover for iOS from the Apple App Store. You can then load this on as many iOS devices as you'd like. When you sign into Pushover, using your Pushover credentials, a device will be created on the Pushover Servers for each of your iOS devices.

On the Hubitat side, Add a Virtual Device, and select the built-in Pushover driver. You will then need to enter your Pushover account's information in the device's user settings. The resulting Hubitat device can then be used in any App that supports sending Notifications. You can then add additional virtual Pushover Devices, if needed, for individual family members. Do NOT have them create separate Pushover accounts, as you don't want to have to pay the $5 for each of them. One account is all your need.

You can see more of the details here, but PLEASE do not use the driver code from this thread. Hubitat now natively supports the Pushover integration, so please use their driver. I am no longer maintaining my custom driver.

Official Hubitat Pushover Documentation is here...
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Pushover

3 Likes

I'm really curious what docs says this. :slight_smile: The current docs at https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Notifications had this removed last year shortly after built-in SMS was dropped. This is what you'll get if you go to the main docs.hubitat.com page, look under "Apps Documentation," and find "Notifications." I was going to try clicking the "?" icon in the upper right of a page in the Notifications app itself, but they don't appear to have implemented that feature in this app (it's in others, like Rule Machine, and they've documented how community app authors can do the same).

EDIT: Maybe I figured it out. If you Google something like "hubitat notifications app documentation," one of the first results is an old/orphaned docs Wiki page: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Notifications_App. I have no idea who is generally responsible for the wiki anymore or I'd tag that staff person here...in the meantime, I'd recommend using the main Docs page rather than Google. :slight_smile:

The link is - Notifications App - Hubitat Documentation

Yeah, that is what I suspected (see the edit above). I guess I'll tag @bravenel to see if he or someone on staff could find a way to either remove or de-search-index old/abandoned Wiki pages like this to stop them from coming up in a Google search (EDIT: or apparently the wiki's own search :open_mouth: ) .

In the meantime, the docs.hubitat.com page directly would again be my recommendation, but you deserve congratulations for reading the docs regardless. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leave it to me to find obscure issues that sends me down the rabbit hole. Tea anyone...

Thanks for catching this!

FYI, The search I did was from the Hubitat documentation page - searching for 'Notifications App'

1 Like

Ouch. That needs to be de-indexed or edited to say it's deprecated.

Is it possible to automatically store notifications on google drive?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.