Notification when garage door closes after it has been open for X minutes?

I have a tilt sensor on my garage and Notifier set to push a notification through the Hubitat app on my phone if it has been left open longer than 30 minutes. This works fine and helps me figure out if someone at my house has forgotten to close the garage when I'm not home.

What I'd like to do is have Hubitat send me another notification when the garage door has been closed after it has been left open. I don't want to get a notification every time the garage door closes--only when it's closed after the door has been left open for longer than 30 minutes.

It doesn't look like this is possible in Notifier. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to do it in Rule Machine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd have to sit down and look at this in more detail to be sure, but you may want to look at options in rule machine at least starting with a rule being triggered by the door opening, with the first action to wait for 30 mins and then send the notification that it has been open too long. I have a feeling you may be able to put some kind of action after the notification to wait for the door to close, then send the follow up notification. This is one of the things I'm not 100% sure about. The last piece of the puzzle will be handling cancelling the rule if the door closes within the first 30 min wait, which I'm pretty sure is an option, setting that wait action to be cancellable. To cancel you may need to setup a second rule to cancel the first rule, but again I'm not 100% sure without working it through myself.

Hope that helps,
Simon

This should do it.

5 Likes

@at9: Thanks so much! I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks again. This is doing exactly what I want.

Frustratingly, I was getting two notifications every time. This exposed that the Ecolink Z-wave tilt sensor I'm using is reporting the same event twice each time the door is opened/closed.

I came across this thread and learned there is an option to suppress duplicate contact events in the device configuration, which solved the problem.

1 Like

@at9 Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this. Searched the same problem, and love the elegance of the rule.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.