Notification severities

Heck, I barely turn on mobile data at all. The SendMail app is great and I use it to email me text notifications when on the go.

Since I expect a lot of Hubitat users value local operation, I'll throw in a mention for Gotify https://gotify.net/

It is a completely local/self-hosted open-source notification server paired with an Android app (sorry, no iOS). The setup is a little involved. It's easy to install the server under Docker, but remote secure access without an always-on VPN back to home requires DDNS, setup of LetsEncrypt and Nginx or some other way of getting secure access back to the server. The Android app can be set up with 4 different sounds for different priorities, or as I have it set up, 3 sounds plus silent for very low priority notifications.

The easiest way to send a notification from Hubitat is via HTTP POST with a JSON body that contains the formatted message (title, message, priority). So it's not integrated into the Hubitat notification action, but I haven't found that to be too limiting.

Since it's completely local, I have the ability to notify (if I'm home) if the WAN goes down on my router. I also use email, email to SMS, and Hubitat app notifications for various things, but the majority of my notifications run through Gotify. For things like smoke/fire/leak detections, I send through all of the above.

1 Like

FYI, a driver could easily be written to be a virtual notification device, take the notification and push it to the server via the HTTP POST. You just make the settings on the driver the IP / Key or whatever it needs to know how to contact the service.

1 Like

You and I will disagree about whether a notification should be silent. I guess you have your phone set to be silent on text messages also...
But silent or not, being unable to differentiate any importance of notifications in the default Hubitat APP is a major shortcoming. Because of this shortcoming I have transitioned my notifications away from the default APP.

I've been thinking of trying to do that, but I'd probably have to adapt some similar code as I'm not that good with Groovy. I'll have to search for community-built notification devices and see what I can figure out.

Check out this one for telegram, it uses HTTP Post [RELEASE] Telegram Bot API (notifications)

I took this and did some upgrades to it and use it for Telegram. I may have to switch to Pushover though I like the idea of the severity options.

Here is my modified version (mostly logging fixes)

1 Like

This seems like an overreaction to me too.

I like the priority levels that pushover integration provides.

My wife doesn’t. She prefers to have the Hubitat app on her phone and the single notification sound it makes. She doesn’t want the pushover app on her phone as well.

I don’t see anything inherently problematic or confusing about that. We have different preferences, Hubitat can accommodate both.

Now, if I tried to impose my preferred notification solution on her and took away the one she preferred, then there would be a serious problem.

7 Likes

Thanks! With a bit of trial and error I was able to turn that into something that works for me. For now I've only set up one device with a default priority, title and app token. (Gotify uses an app token as part of the URL, and you can use multiple app tokens with different thumbnail images for each)

Since the Hubitat notify interface only takes a single message body entry, I made it so I can use a pipe to separate parameters. So entering "Hello" will just send that message at the default priority and using the default title and app, but I can stack the priority, title, and app (in that order). So "Hello | 7 | Some Title | Blue Iris" would send the message Hello at priority 7 with that title using the Blue Iris app token.

I could set up multiple devices with different defaults so I could just enter the message body, but I don't think I want to clutter up my devices page with multiple versions of this device. As long as I can remember the order for the parameters and the valid app names, this should work.

Agreed. I'd be quite annoyed if they did away with the built in notifications. They work fine for me.

1 Like

I use pushover myself. The only thing that has an alarm (siren) are water/gas events. I can wait a moment for most other notifications but I want those 2 things to get my attention right away.

1 Like

Oh, I have one other tone that comes through for when my kid opens up his bedroom door..(basically a beeping noise) that we trained my german shepherd to react to. When that goes off he tears off and tracks my kid wherever he may be (our other dog of course gets excited and follows along) until my kid is found then they pin him and lick him and we can come up and extricate him from the dogs and send him back to bed... So yes, I integrated a biological component into Hubitat,.,..,'

2 Likes

What happens when the kid has to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

Not my problem... :rofl:

2 Likes

My phone is on Silent so often (like 98.9% of the time), it would surprise the hell outta me! Sounds in notifications wouldn't matter to me anyway..

p.s. I love the hard switch on the iPhone 14 Promax to turn sounds off!

Why was pavlovs hair so soft?

He conditioned it. :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

angry panda GIF by Steve Konklin

2 Likes

Panda-monium

2 Likes

I hate you

2 Likes

I work in mission assurance. You'll have to take a number......

2 Likes

Ahh Seeing this first thing this morning made my day :slight_smile:

1 Like