Notification for battery based devices

Will I get notified when my battery based devices are about to be out of power? Do I need to configure it somewhere?

No I'm afraid most devices seem to be quite inaccurate or vague with their battery reports. I use a community app called Device Activity Check [RELEASE] Device Activity Check - Get notifications for "inactive" devices
that tells you if a device hasn't called in at all within a time period you specify. If you have a chatty device that usually updates the temperature or whatever every hour, you can set the app to let you know if it's not been heard from in over an hour. So at least you can change the battery very soon after it's died.

If it's very important to not have a battery run out, to be on the safe side change it if it gets near 50%

6 Likes

You can use HSM to monitor. I would set it for about 20%. It's a safe enough number to use for replacing batteries. As @Inge_Jones says though battery reporting is about as accurate as political reporting. For me 20% is good enough to replace.

1 Like

Some of my SmartThings sensors and buttons have "gone" at 58, though they are probably the worst.

1 Like

Hmm... I could not find a way in HSM to monitor battery

You can also use the notifications built-in app

It's under custom

1 Like

Thats what I do, Add all devices to a single Notifications app.

Here is what I see: No batteries in there:

Click configure custom

I already did. That's how it looks after I did

When you're in HSM

Click Custom
Click Create New Monitoring Rule
Name Rule (Call it Battery Levels or some such) and clcik Continue
Click Drop down under What Kind of device do you want to use.
Pick Battery Level
Click Select Batteries to Monitor and move the slider to Monitor All Battery Levels
Put 20 under Alert when battery level is low
Click the alert type and fill out appropriately
Click Arm this Rule
Click Done

5 Likes

I am an idiot. Sorry

Nah, you're still exploring... We've all been down the same path and that's why we're here to help one another.

2 Likes

I'd agree, if you're an idiot, we're all in trouble.... :wink:

1 Like

Hi. Im new at installing custom apps.
Can you explain to me how to install this app.
Thanks.

Go to your hub main page... Click apps on the left, Click add built in app, Scroll down and pick hubitat safety monitor. It will now be in your list of installed apps when you click on the apps button again

1 Like