Notification didn't notify me of water leak

I have some notifications setup and I notice that the only 1 that's been working right now is when I have mail.

Today my water leak sensor went off and I would normally get a notification when I test them and today there was no notification via text or audio.

Water leak was detected

Shut off valved turned off. So what can I look at to figure out how to get notifications working again?

Here's a different notification that also isn't working via text or audio. I know in this screenshot the text isn't set up, but it's set up in other family members' notifications.

Under the Notification events, this is the most current event listed when the most current should be today

Was it wet for a full minute?

3 Likes

I have to be honest, I never was fond of the built in notifier. It never worked particularly well for me. I installed Pushover and it's been rock solid since. I would also remove the 1 minute portion of your rule as that looks like it may have to be wet up to a minute before sending instead of instantaneous

1 Like

Hello,

@rlithgow1 The notification has been flawless for me until now and the 1 minute has always worked, I will do some research on the pushover.

@potts.mike yes it was wet for a full minute, the shut off valve is set for 1 minute also, so if the water leak sensor is wet for more than 1 minute, turn off shut off valve, so it had to have been wet for the 1 minute in order for the shut off valve to turn off

The log above makes it look like it was wet for less than a second.

1 Like

@velvetfoot Good catch, I didn't notice that and I just test the sensor and the notification kicked off when I let the sensor sit in water for 1 minute. So I just removed the 1 minute and left it at 0. I got the text and heard it on the speakers.

So now my only issue is then, why am I not getting my voice or text when I unlock my front door in my other topic here Alfred lock RM issue

1 Like

I have a couple of water sensors to tell me if they get wet. The built in siren went off, so I know they were working, but I didn't get a notification. Is there something wrong in my rule setup? BTW, I'm sure it was beeping for more than 1 minute.

You have Stop repeat after number of repetitions set, but no number of iterations set. Maybe this?

1 Like

I changed it to this:

I also made sure that when I tripped it off it went from dry to wet. (This screenshot shows it as "dry", but I can assure it said "wet" when it was wet.

I also made sure it was wet for more than a minute. However, I did not get any notification to my phone.

BTW, while I see the sensors in my Google Home app (as I put them into the Hubitat Google app), and I check them and then pressed "authorize" (and got a confirmation from the Google Home app) they never show up in the app after that, so I don't know why that is.

I'd also turn off Stop repeat upon next event.

Are you sure notifications are working?

Why not just use HSM? It has yet to fail for me.

1 Like

So 2 steps forward, but still getting tripped up with Google and I have a question. I took your advice and set up the water notification in HSM. I can see it is working as the light I told to turn on does turn on and I do get the text notification I set up to come to my iPhone. So far, so good

My first question is regarding flashing lights. As I said above, it did turn on a light via the switch I selected, but I want a couple other lights to flash. I clicked the Select Lights to Flash dropdown, but it didn't show anything. That is, when I click it, no choices appear. Can't HSM turn a switch on and off to flash the light associated with it?

Here is my problem with Google. I made sure both of my water sensors are in the Hubitat Google app. When I go into my Google Home app I go to Devices and click to add a device. I then pick Works with Google. For some reason a lot of the time Hubitat isn't there. I then search for Hubitat and once I pick that it shows my 2 hubs - my C-7, which isn't even plugged in any more and my C-8. I pick the C-8 and then it takes me to the next page. I pick my 2 water sensors and scroll down to the bottom where it says "Authorize". When I tap that I get a message that my account has been successfully linked and it takes me back to the screen for my home. But, my devices aren't there. And, if I go to add a device my Hubitat doesn't show up as linked, so it just starts the whole cycle over again . Can you help me with this?

I think that the lights have to support flashing to work (or the switch has to support it). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As to the sensors I'm not sure why they don't show in Google. @gopher.ny ?

Do you also have a water valve? If any sensor in my place goes off, water valve immediately shuts off water to the house.

Am I correct that I create a loop in RM that would turn a light on and off every x seconds as long as some condition is happening?

Also, the A/C does have a sensor that is supposed to turn the A/C off if it gets wet, but from past experience that is too late to prevent some damage. The sensor I got did start beeping right away, and being at home, and during the day time, I was able to get to it quickly.

Sensors aren't going to actually show up in GH using HE's native GH integration app - it's pretty basic in what it actually pushes over (primarily switches). Dunno about the community GH app - that may be worth a look.

Well, there are 3 things that I find kind of weird about the idea that they don't work with Google Home ("GH"):

1. While I have to keep linking Hubitat in the GH app, the "normal" devices, like my switches are there and can be controlled from GH.

2. The sensors are appearing in the GH app to be added, and I don't get any error when adding them, but then they just aren't there.

3. Since both the HSM and the Notifications app lets me pick my Google Mini as a device that I can send a notification too, the Hubitat people must have tested it with sensors like these and it worked.

So, I'm still not sure why it isn't working.

If you go look right now at your GH app in HE, the sensors won't be in that device list. I agree it's odd that no error / head's-up is given when trying to add a non-compatible device, but it must not be easy for some reason.

I don't think that sending a notification message to an actual GH unit has anything to do with what devices you have linked via GH integration, but I can't say for certain -- I don't send any notifications to my GH units, and the devices I've added via the GH integration are just vanilla lights and switches.

I know the community GH app does offer a wider variety of devices to integrate, but I haven't needed that so I don't use it myself.

I thought I was using the built in GH app:

Here they are listed and checked:
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 7.54.43 PM

And here they are after I clicked Update and then Done and went back into the GH app:
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 7.54.55 PM

Those sensors are not going to show up in the Google home app. The built in integration doesn't support sensors. If you want those to appear in Google home, you will need to use the community integration as was described above.

1 Like