Notification / Basic Rules Apps - feature request

@bobbyD Can we please get "Custom Attributes" added as a supported option for the basic built in apps?

I have my Tesla PowerWall 2 integrated into my Hubitat and some of the actions I'd like to automate really don't need complex RM rules to configure. eg The only thing stopping me from using a basic rule to say "dim lights" or "turn off lights" during a power outage is being able to monitor a custom attribute "grid status" from the TW2 Community driver.

2 Likes

PS. I setup an RM rule to manage a Virtual Presence Sensor which is supported by the basic rules - So this request is really aimed at new users to HE.

1 Like

This has been bugging me since I read it, and is something I should let go... but hey.... :slight_smile:

I definitely agree with the request, while I don't need it myself atm, I can see the "simplistic" nature of what you and I expect others want to do. When it comes to many Community drivers there can often be quite useful additional attributes that can be useful when keeping tabs on what is happening with these devices.

My only issue is that in the example you gave I feel like a child switch device may be more appropriate, if it would be possible to have included in the driver. A switch would provide a more clear cut, defined state change that would not rely on users knowing the values for the attribute that signify that change and would cater for the developer to introduce additional logic in determining that state change. Getting into semantics and technicalities I know, which is why I lead with my support of the request. This is by no means a reason not to proceed with the request, just something to consider with the justification.

1 Like

Agreed, it wasn’t the best example, but was the most recent one I had and I’ve been meaning to make the suggestion for a while.

I like the notification app and only use RM for fancy notification rules. Eg I arrive home (presence trigger) wait for event (front door contact sensor opening) then speak “Welcome home sir”. :rofl:

But to tell my wife and I there is an electrical grid outage, I just use the notification app triggered by my virtual presence sensor.

1 Like

Do you control the electrical grid in Victoria? :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: I wish! We got a Tesla Powerwall 2 installed the other day and of course I hooked it up to Hubitat.

1 Like

Well, you control a small patch of Victoria... :slight_smile:

So like I said, I expect you are onto a good thing, just the that attributes with a defined list of values (or at least those with 1 or 2 states) are probably best served by a separate device that represents their state. For attributes where they record a range of values, particularly integer values in a range, those will definitely need something like what you are requesting.

1 Like

I’m not a developer so I’m really not sure what the best approach is. That said, Hubitat dashboard tiles and RM triggers support custom attributes so it seems feasible.

1 Like

What apps are you talking about?

It’s in the title, the notification and basic rules apps.

Basic Rules is a beginner's app, and Custom Attributes is an advanced feature, so that's not a fit.

Is there some problem with just creating an RM rule to do this?

Not for me no.

I just thought that it would be helpful for new folks learning the HE platform as many of the community apps have all the useful fields as custom attributes.

It seems to me there's somewhat of a contradiction between "new folks learning" and an advanced feature such as Custom Attributes. I really don't like spreading advanced features all over in the simpler apps. Then they aren't simple any more. Apps don't have custom attributes, only devices do.

Sorry, I did mean devices. :man_facepalming:

Honestly I’m not fussed if this doesn’t happen, I just thought it would make community drivers easier to work with for new users.