Nothing but issues with Zooz Zen22 and Zen27 dimmers. Not only do they not work a lot of times in hubitat, but they become physically disabled and I have to pull the air gap to get them to respond

Hello,

I just recently did a whole house renovation and new master suite addition. I took the opportunity to install a bunch of Zooz Zen22 and one Zen 27 4-way dimmer. I had them professionally installed. They originally worked fine, but now I am having so many issues with them.

1. The biggest issue is they stop responding to physical touches. I have to pull the air gap to get them to respond again. You can see this issue in the videos. Also, you can see in the bathroom video that the main lights always come on at a dim level, regardless of them being shut off at the max brightness. The double click of the button doesn’t work on at least one. I have verified in Hubitat that 'Maximum Brightness Double Tap default" is enabled. I have also confirmed that there are no rules setup using the main bath lights.

2. They dont respond to commands via hubitat. I don't believe this is a hubitat issue, but an extension of the issues with the physical device. I have tons of items in hubitat and all the others work properly.

I do not know what to do at this point. I have spent over $800 in zooz switches and I have nothing but problems with them every day. Here are some videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qSSgGomBDN2zojab9

I have opened a support ticket with Zooz, but curious if anyone else is having trouble like this?

I only have a few ZEN27's but I've only had one issue, and only once. I also believe it had something to do with pairing because of the symptoms (light came on a couple of times each night).
The resolution was to unpair, and repair. Problem has not come back and its been about 10 months.

While I understand you inclination to not involve Hubitat in the process but I'll take a swing in the dark. Did you add a lot of z-wave devices at one time? If so the common thinking is one should add no more that 10 at a time and then let the Z-Wave generate / heal.

An additional suggestion would be to post your firmware level of the device(s)

Regarding the not coming on full and no double tap, I suggest you load Hubitat's "Basic Z-wave Tool" It will allow you to read each parameter of the device and be sure it is what you were setting in the driver.
This tool is a driver that you temporarily set as the device driver for the dimmer you wish to investigate. BTW the parameters will be written to the active logs.

Just some help while you are waiting for Zooz.

John

Thank you for the reply. Would issues in Hubitat prevent the physical operation of the device?

As for how many we installed at a time, it was less than 10. When the bedroom was done, we installed 4 switches there. When the bath room was ready, we installed 4 there. We installed a few here and there as painting in the old rooms were done ect.

I have the Basic Z-Wave Tool installed and can set it as the driver for the switch giving me issues. Unfortunately, I am not sure what to do after that, so I will need to research some.

I also have Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details app installed. I had an issue today where I went to add a new switch, it found it and asked what kind of security protocol and I clicked okay on the defaults s2 unsecured. Then it asked me to verify the numbers, which I did. Then that was it. It didnt show up in the Found Devices nor did it show up in the device list as a zooz scene dimmer with no name. Looking at the mesh, I do have

I am not sure if this is causing other issues.

As for firmware, it looks like I have a mix of * firmwareVersion: 4.0 and * firmwareVersion: 4.1

@agnes.zooz might be able to help. this is definitely not how the devices should act (unless you have a flag set to disable it)

In the Zooz manual there is a section titled "Customize your switch" ( or similar). This section lists all the parameters the switch/dimmer recognizes and what they do.

With the Basic Device driver, the parameters option will read what is actually set for each parameter. If I recall you can press get parameters with no parameter number. The complete list should be dumped to the active logs.

With my issue the switch worked from the paddle, and Hubitat. My issue was the random turning on at night.

I am personally of the belief that security is/can be problematic and best left off unless you are using a door lock.

Red in the screenshot you posted is not good. I would delete the device with no name, I'm assuming it isn't a valid device.
I would unpair the 0x2e device and while it is unpaired I would factory reset it using the below instructions.

Before repairing I would reboot the hub (from the settings screen) it may not help but it can't hurt.

You should also post the Z-Wave map. Settings / Z-Wave / Z-wave topology.

Factory reset ZEN27

If your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may need to reset
the device to factory settings. To complete the reset process manually,
tap-tap-tap’n’hold the upper paddle for at least 10 seconds. The LED
indicator will flash to confirm successful reset.
NOTE: All previously recorded activity and custom settings will be erased

sooooo it may have been hubitat related after all. I was able to exclude the main bathroom switch after a lot of effort. I re-added it with no security and now it seems to be working well. I also was having issues adding a new switch and it got stuck in the initializing phase. Again, excluded it and an "unknown device" was excluded. Add it using no security and this time it worked. So, I guess I am going to go remove all my switches and add them all back with no security. Should I only do a few a day to be safe?

2 Likes

What ever you feel comfortable with - if it pairs correctly then it shouldn't matter. The newer firmware seems better at recovering things and less likely to leave you hanging. Worst case a shutdown, pull plug (plug end), wait 20 secs or so then start up should help.

Thank you for relaying your experiences. I have a bunch (60+) of Zooz switches at a clients (Zen23/24s mostly V3's) and found they work well with no security. Fortunately paired them that way from the beginning but it's good to get some validation for that.

I would also say it's a Hubitat-Zooz interaction or 700 series spec certification issue rather than pinning it completely on HE.

1 Like

I have over 30 Zooz switches now on the c7. Most are zen26 with at lease three of each zen21/22/27

All are paired with security = none.

I highly recommend no security with these switches.

I don’t see any reason to limit yourself to just a few a day. The fuzzy limit recommended is 20 per day.

Early on with the C7 I did a large scale FW update on all my switches. Yeah I had some rough behaviour for a couple days but overall I found it was better than trying to do it in batches.

2 Likes