Not going to lie

I didn't know either :rofl:

I can't share all of my secrets you know...

You'll have to wait until next year for this secret to be revealed. :smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I'll ring you up on 1/1/2020 12:00:01 AM EST to spill the beans!

3 Likes

And thus my confusion. I hope I didn't mislead someone on how to integrate the Harmony remote.

All this conversation has been very enlightening.

3 Likes

For the record, even though anything I do on ST is entirely cloud now, it still seems to make ST happier if I have the hub connected. For example, with my (virtual) thermostat integrated into Alexa, Alexa will complain that "SmartThings is not responding," even though everything gets correctly adjusted. It might take longer (I assume that might be part of the reason it complains), but I haven't timed and don't really care here, but I can say that plugging in the hub eliminates those problems.

The same may apply to the above. Plus the hub is nice to have around in the rare event I want to do a firmware update on a supported device (e.g., the problematic first-public-firmware ST buttons). But your luck may vary--I certainly don't need the hub, but it is happier with it.

Quick question on your setup; can some devices be exposed to Hubitat and others to Smarthings? This doesn't confuse Alexa?

I'm confused on the question. HubConnect can get SmartThings devices exposed to Hubitat or Hubitat devices exposed to SmartThings. Both SmartThings and Hubitat have an Alexa skill that can get devices (of some types) from that platform exposed to Alexa. I would not expose the same device to Alexa from both--I see no reason you would want to do it and lots of reasons why you wouldn't (mostly Alexa complaining that you have more than one device with the same name).

What is getting "exposed to Hubitat and others to SmartThings"? The integrations are both to Alexa, not from Alexa, if that is where this question stems from.

1 Like

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear but you answered my question anyway. What I meant is if I have a device on Hubitat exposed in the Alexa app, say a lamp can I also have a device on Smarthings (thermostat) also connected to Alexa (not each other)

3 Likes

Yes. Different skills

1 Like

When I saw the title "Not going to lie" I was thinking it was for a Liers Annomous meeeting. I had psyched myself up to admit I had a problem and lay my self bare. Looks like I will need to find somewhere else to unload.

3 Likes

Nonsense @zarthan. Unburden yourself. I am not one of those whiners who rambles about people hijacking his thread. If I had to pay for each thread that would be a different story.

2 Likes

@here, so I know I haven't responded, but thats because I was waiting. I love that you all talked me out of regressing. I guess it didn't occur to me to have both, although I am not positive yet how this is going to work. I guess I need to read up on HubConnect first. But when I read you replies I ordered a ST v3, and it arrived today, so I will hopefully be able to mess with it this weekend and get the thermostat and Harmony onto it.

1 Like

Just an FYI...

As you know, you can use the official Harmony Hub integration with SmartThings to get your remote control smart buttons working again. As other have mentioned, use HubConnect to mirror the Hubitat lights you want to control over to SmartThings. Then expose those lights to the SmartThings Harmony Hub integration. Then, within the Harmony App, assign those buttons as you see fit.

You can ALSO connect the Harmony Hub directly to Hubitat using my Harmony Hub driver. This will give you the best of both worlds, IMHO. Having instant status updates for Activities on Harmony is much quicker than the polling used by the SmartThings Cloud-2-Cloud integration.

Have fun!

1 Like

So I am a little uncertain about the best course here. Should I remove the thermostat and Harmony from Hubitat and add them to the Smartthings? Then after joining them to Smartthings, should I use smart connect to share them back to the hubitat? Or should I just share them to the smartthings using hubconnect? I am a little lost.

Add your devices to Hubitat. You don't necessarily need to add your Harmony to Hubitat, unless you want to be able to control Harmony scenes, etc. from Hubitat. I didn't do this, as I have no need. I just want the remote to be able to control my lights, etc.

After adding your devices to Hubitat, setup and use HubConnect to mirror the devices to SmartThings.

Once SmartThings sees your devices, use the SmartThings Harmony integration to setup your lights, etc.