Not Getting Notifications

I am a recent Wink exile and finally moved all of my devices over to the Hubitat. Everything has gone smoothly except for the Schlage BE469, but I'm hoping to reset that one and try again today. One thing I cannot seem to figure out is notifications. I set up a motion notification in Rules Machine and it was working great. I added my wife's phone (with her own account) so that I coudl add her to the notifications and now I cannot get any push notifications to work including the motion notifier that was initially working fine.

I have tried a few things I've seen on these boards including signing in and out of the app and using the device page to send a test. I am not getting the test.

Any ideas to get these push notifications working? I'm assuming it has something to do with the second iphone device being added since notifications stopped around that time, but I'm not sure what to try.

Hmm .. regarding your lock. Most people have better luck when pairing right next to the hub. If you can take the lock to the hub or vise versa, you'll probably be successful. (if you haven't tried that yet)

I had pushover before the HE app was available, so I've always just used that since I paid for it, but I did mess around with the HE push notifications and found that when adding a second phone I removed that part of the rule and readded that action so that there wasn't any weirdness going on with adding something new to the mix. It worked for me. Could you post a screenshot of your app and maybe a screenshot of the push. It would help to see what might be going on.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Regarding the lock, the hub is in the same room, about 10-15 feet from the hub. Do you think moving it closer than that would help? The hub has been finding the z-wave device and shows initializing, but never completes the connection.

I've attached a couple screenshots of one of the notifications apps that I have created along with a log from my phone. You'll see some motion notifications as well as several tests that I did not receive. Let me know if you need any other info or screenshots.

If you go Devices and find "David's iPhone," can you send a notification from that page? (Just put some text in the "Device Notification" input and press the button.) If not, something went wrong with your mobile app device (this) in Hubitat. Launching the Hubitat app on your phone to make sure everything is OK wouldn't hurt; if it seems like it is (or isn't), maybe try signing out and signing back in, which should make you choose your hub (if you have more than one) and whether you want to re-use or create a mobile app device (re-using should be fine and may fix this problem). I'm not sure why adding your wife's phone would have messed that up, though if hers is supposed to be included with the above rule, it doesn't look like it is.

PS - This won't fix your problem, but you might consider using the built-in Notifications app instead of Rule Machine for this. It can achieve the same outcome with a lot less clicking, and it has a bunch of options (e.g., only notify between certain times or once per x minutes) that you'd have to build in to a rule.

I did try to send a few tests through the device page. Those are the "test" texts in the screenshot. I did not receive them on my phone. I've also logged out and logged back into the iphone app. I originally had my wife's phone added to some notifications, but removed her device this morning in an attempt to resolve the issue.

I actually had all of these set up in the Notifications app, but thought that was giving me trouble, so I recreated them in Rule Machine. Neither seem to be pushing the notifications to the phone which leads me to believe it is something on the phone side of things. I'm going to try to delete the app on the phone and start over.

Yes. Secured pairing has proven to be picky in HE.

I was also going to suggest this. Did you try simply rebooting your phone? I see this step passed up more often than not. Seems small, but does wonders.

So I completely deleted the app off of the phone, redownloaded it, logged in and now the notifications seem to be working again. I'm going to try on my wife's phone as well.

I added a ton of devices yesterday. Maybe that caused the issue??

1 Like

I'm going to give it a shot again with the hub right next to the lock.

I'm curious. How did you create a second account?

You may also find it beneficial to have a z-wave+ repeater that supports beaming to be as close as possible to the hub.

I believe she created a new account through the app, but I'm not sure. She sent me her credentials and I added her as an admin on the hub. Until then, her phone would not show up in my devices I assume because she was using my login.

If you can't send a notification from the device page (I missed that you had tested that--oops!), then no app will be able to, either. This is a useful trick for troubleshooting that can rule out app/automation vs. device problems.

Glad you got it figured out!

I had not read about this, but just read a quick article. I do have a z-wave hard wired switch located only a few feet from the lock. I did not notice any issues with the lock while using Wink, but I did notice the battery life wasn't great. Where would I need to place the z-wave+ repeater - next to the hub or next to the lock?

Thanks for your help. Now that it is working, I'll probably move them all back to Notifications since as you pointed out they are a bit cleaner there.

The hub. Also, Make sure it is a zwave+ repeater that supports beaming. There are many threads on this, but some zwave locks are troublesome with HE. With apparently no consistent underlying pattern.

The secondary user of my hubs is configured as a "Guest", and notifications using the app seem to work ok. If having two Admins fails again (no reason it should), consider setting the second account as a Guest account.

Edit - I remember having notification issues with the app when adding a secondary user. I don't ever remember the secondary user being an "admin". So I stopped using the app for Notifications and use email-to-sms to receive all notifications as SMS.

Great, thanks. I'll give it one more shot to connect in my current config and if not I'll research and add zwave+ repeater.

Good idea. I'm having her delete the app and redownload. Will try with her as admin and if not, I'll bump her down to guest.

Search your lock instead and you will more than likely find numerous posts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.