Not all active zigbee sensors show up on getchildandrouteinfo

So first of all I should say that all my devices both zigbee and zwave are operating just fine, thank you. My question is why do some of the active (battery) zigbee sensors not show up sometimes on the getchildandrouteinfo?

You can see from the screenshots below that there are 4 battery sensors that do not show up. They are shown using "old" routes in the zigbee graph. Checking the device events log, all show up with actions just fine, so why don't they show up in the route table entry?

I have even tried shutting down the hub (C8) for 30 minutes to see if they would find new routes. The routes do change, but often not all the battery sensors show up.

The only sensors that don't show up are battery devices. All the mains connected repeaters show up correctly in the neighbor table.

Is it because some of the battery sensors are just sleeping at that instant when getchildandroute is run?

Most likely.

ETA: Or IIRC, that isn’t actually a complete representation of your zigbee mesh. If devices take more than one (or maybe two?) hops to reach the hub, they’re not on there, even mains powered devices I think.

3 Likes

Yup. This is true.

4 Likes

I have something similar happening.

On the standard Zigbee chart, my 5 3R temp/humidity sensors have been showing up as "tentative" for the last couple of days.

I might try hitting the "rebuild network" button, but I think I've already done that, and you've done that also, in effect I imagine, by turning off the hub 30 minutes. All my other battery devices show routes of some kind.

edit: I should say that all the battery devices used to be paired direct to the hub until very recently when I installed 12 plugs, as an experiment.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... The vast, vast majority of us here (including me) would be better off if we never looked at that graph or its corresponding source endpoint.

It simply has way too many caveats to be genuinely useful to anyone but power users who have vast zigbee architecture & performance knowledge. But even for those folks, I'd like to know if this graph is actually useful to them in any routine way.

I suppose it could sometimes confirm something being terribly wrong with your ZB mesh, but in that case, I'd contend you don't really need this graph to know when that's true.

6 Likes

Agree 100%. The combination of historical and current data make it misleading. Anyone who needs a map is better off using an xbee3.

5 Likes

Well, I hit "rebuild network" and the 5 3R temp/humidity sensors still come up tentative, while all the other battery devices have a route of some kind. The chart will of course change over time, but here's mine now.
PS: I think it's fun.
PPS: I tried refreshing and configuring, but it didn't have an effect.

The source of the data driving the graph is a small portion of your Zigbee mesh at a point in time. It simply cannot show the whole picture. Read this:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing out that other thread to me. It makes sense now. I should have been more diligent in my search before I posted this new topic. Oh well ...good information here and there.

2 Likes