Noob questions - Unreachable Device Flag? Device Status?

Is there a way to see at a glance which devices are unreachable for various reasons. Examples

1. No power
  2. Device Unresponsive
  3. Device fault
  4. Zwave, Zigbee network failure

I am moving from Vera and Smartthings.
In Vera
vera

In ST

I see in the docs that there is supposed to be a "device status" in both the device list and device detail but the status does not show up on my HE. Actually, it does not even show up in the docs example image.

That was removed because it wasn’t always accurate. The docs need to be updated to reflect that change.

You can use Last Activity to see if the device missed its expected check-in or there are a few community apps that will give you a checkin status.

Okay thanks. Appreciate the quick response.

Frankly this sucks. I would rather have a something inaccurate than nothing at all. At least I could see at a glance if there is a potential problem.
I will end up with over 100 device and I have to look at each activity? Yuk.

Do you know of a good community app of the top of your head? I am finding it incredible time consuming and difficult to find community apps without an app store or a decent Wiki.
Bruce

I have yet to have any device become unreachable while on Hubitat, like I did all the time on Vera and Smartthings......there usually isn't much need to even bother to check this UNLESS you experience an issue with a device.

It's a big transition of habits though I know what you mean, when I used Vera I had to check multiple times per day to make sure all the devices work communicating.....I no longer worry about this with Hubitat.

It was confusing to people. It’s quite normal for certain device types to show inactive, but it didn’t mean they were disconnected. This just confused too many people and caused an extra work load for support.

No personal experience with Bryan’s app, but it sounds good :grinning:

Hey Wayne,

I certainly hope you are right and my reasons for wanting this will go away. These are currently my issues,

1. So, far I have only setup a few Zigbee devices but I have already one that is unresponsive, due, I think, range, I had to move my hub and I think this caused the problem, But, I am hoping these types of issues will go aways as I build out my network.

2. I have a lot of Smartbulbs. Of course one of the pitfalls of Smartbulbs is they need I power all the time. I have used Gocontrol switches on some to prevent the power to them from being turned off. But this is a work in progress. I found the switches to be too slow in ST so I have not implemented them on all my lights. One of the reasons I am switching to Hubitat is to speed up my switches.

Naturally at times people will power off the Smartbulbs if they have not been protected by the Gocontrols, Having a status at a glance will highlight issues light this really quickly.

Again, I hope you are right but I do suspect that even Hubitat will lose Zigbee smarbulbs from time to time. Zigbee bulbs are notorious for this and I have seen it in both ST and Vera.

Cheers Bruce

Yes this is probably the issue as Hubitat recommends "pairing in place" all devices (except zwave locks) so that your mesh builds itself properly, and moving the hub may take some time for the mesh to re-adjust. Or you could exclude it and repair it now that you've done the move to help this.

This is also the problem of using Smartbulbs that "claim" to be repeaters, Most have found out here that using the non-repeating ones have better results, one of being the issue you stated that if someone turns off the switch of a repeating bulb that loss of power creates a void in your mesh that all the devices then try to reassign themselves to other repeaters causing a communication issues.

There are threads in this forum regarding "problem" zigbee bulbs, most seem to recommend Sengleds and a few others.

Would love to pair in place but I have a lot of older Zwave stuff that wont pair unless I move the hub close to them. Also pairing bulbs in place is difficult because they tend to be in clusters and you have to pair one at a time.
I have some Sengleds but they do not offer a big enough range in bulb types. I need mostly GU10s and I have found Ikeas the best. Sengeld does not have a viable GU10

You'll just have to keep this in mind "if" you have an issue though as here is the direct quote from the Hubitat staff. GE Zigbee plug-in dimmer won’t pair? - #9 by mike.maxwell

I have Samsung zigbee door sensors that simply quit checking in when the batteries fail. It's up to me to notice the driveway light is no longer coming on when the door is opened after sunset...

Battery powered leak detectors just quit reporting in when their batteries die... nothing, no notifications, zip.

Sure, when they're healthy they all work great, much more reliable then when I was using SmartThings - when the batteries are healthy....