Node-Red Palette: Common Choices

No offense intended. HubConnect is AWESOME!

3 Likes

Another basic one I forgot about was "node-red-contrib-counter" - though I don't seem to be using it anymore.

For the intermediate NR experience..

node-red-contrib-unsafe-function - use in place of Function node, much faster.
node-red-contrib-semaphore - semaphore locking, fun but potentially tricky.
node-red-contrib-noop - because NOOP makes a good placeholder.
node-red-node-base64 - tried to use for dynamic images on dashboard. I'm not quite there yet..

Also dragging @bill.d into this.. he mentioned using a "Finite State Machine" node which I thought was kinda interesting. Not sure which one he's using.

1 Like

I reorganized the first post to group some together along the lines of:

What will 'everyone' want first then, what would be useful based on what else you have, Lutron, Echo vs GH etc. and finally the 'everything else list, because they are most usable in a Hubitat universe.

2 Likes

Those look like a 4th list.. the Intermediate to Advanced list.

Added. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For fun and games - here's another:

node-red-node-random.

This node generates a random number as msg.payload within the configured bounds (eg. 0-100). You can convert this through a change node to msg.arguments and then pass it along to a Hubitat-paired RGB bulb as hue, saturation, or level.

When combined with an inject node that repeats every 10 seconds, you have the bulb color change every 10 seconds.

I'm sure node-red-node-random has other (more useful) uses, but this is fun. My cats have been staring at the RGBW bulb in my nightstand for 5 minutes now (which is LONG for a cat).

Idea came from @april.brandt

2 Likes

I always just throttle msgs using the built-in "delay" node.

2 Likes

I use that a lot for testing on my dev Node-Red instance that doesn't have easy access to hubitat data.

2 Likes

Yep done that as well too.. but doesn't that just delay messages not drop them?

Depends which option you pick.

Of course when used like this it isn't a "delay" node at all... So kind of a misnomer versus the node name.

I use this a lot to guarantee I don't get blasted with a bazillion Pushover messages on my phone on alerts like high temperature or low level, that can be chatty at times without adding deadband or reset logic.

2 Likes

A personal favorite of mine for massaging data on trends/graphs, typically via low pass filter:

A good one for dashboard tables (although is somewhat complex to setup):

1 Like

The Delay Node as a Rate Limiter is a great option for keeping my almost 3-year-old son from going crazy pushing his SmartThings button mounted 2 feet off the ground to turn on his bedroom light. He quickly learned to turn his light on or off & almost as quickly learned if he keeps pushing the button, he can make the light strobe.

NO MORE!!!

2 Likes

Here are some that are potentially useful.

node-red-contrib-state-machine - potentially simplifies if-then-else logic. There are a couple other implementations
node-red-contrib-time-range-switch - timer with sun position choices
node-red-contrib-light-scheduler - another timer node for common lighting schedules
node-red-contrib-lutron - works for Caséta. There's a telnet bug for RadioRA 2. Needs attention from someone with javascript capabilities. Note that there's a recent fork to add Picos. I've not attempted to use it.

1 Like

Added. :slight_smile:

-lutron and -time-range-switch were already in the list. :smiley:

Everyone's situation is going to be different, someone could be after:

• Augmenting what can be done with Rule Machine
  • Replacing rule machine
  • Looking to tie into hardware not supported by HE
  • Something else entirely

My needs and must haves not listed include because of hardware I have

• node-red-contrib-huemagic
  • node-red-contrib-lametric-notification
  • Mosquito installed on the Node-RED server to handle my MyQ garage door

Otherwise rbe, harmony, alexa2 and or course the hubitat palettes are all I have outside of a few "cool" things (like doing Circadian lighting here in the office during the work days, this unfortunately takes like 3-4 extra palettes)

A few I've got that are not already mentioned.

I figure it's far quicker for lighting to go from Node Red directly to Hue Hub, instead of also adding in an extra stop via Hubitat. I've removed Hue from HE, along with Sonos. Sonos is far better within Node Red.

node-red-contrib-advance-logger
node-red-contrib-bravia
node-red-contrib-huemagic
node-red-contrib-sonos-plus
node-red-contrib-unifi

2 Likes

Mike, do you use the unifi palette in NR for presence, instead of in HE?

FYI - the original author (sushilks) has had an updated version of this palette (ver 1.0.3) on his GitHub repository for several months. His updated version also supports Picos.

1 Like

I dont, but that's because Unifi hold onto the device too long, once it's left the wifi network. There's no way to change this. I asked on the Unifi forums a few years ago.

The iPhone presence sensor app in Hubitat is the fastest and best, even for Android.

1 Like

Thanks
Im using unifi on HE for presence but haven't taken notice of the lag.
Going to test it out now

You can use it for arrival. I use the ping node to detect arrival of my phone/car, but not departure.

1 Like