No more Nest - Other Thermostat Options?

I have a Nest thermostat now and I have the same requirement (control my humidifier) I have a Vivint CT200 thermostat that I'm planning on using (Thanks to @adamkempenich for pointing this out!) It appears that it controls a humidifier but have not tried it yet. edit: nope, it does not :frowning:

2 Likes

Good to know! You need to let us know.

Is it compatible with hubitat?

That Vivint CT200 looks cool, but I'm struggling to find out more about it. I can't tell if a cloud subscription is required. It looks like it can be used with just Z-Wave/Hubitat, and not the $29.99/month service fee, but I can't find definitive proof with a quick search.

I'd definitely be interested in learning more from folks here that are using it @chuck.schwer!

Have you found any sources to buy it? I did a quick search and didn’t see anything obvious.

Plenty of them on eBay (rather, there was a month ago - haven't looked recently). I looked hard at it before getting the GoControl model I use.

Adam got his running fine, I have mine sitting on my desk still but I was able to pair it with no issues, although he mentioned he had to pair one of his with a vivint hub before it would work. I was planning on figuring out what is so special about the vivint hub so Adam sent me his hub but when I opened my new thermostat it paired right up to Hubitat, so I'm waiting for someone else to have the same problem and be willing to shipping me their thermostat for testing.

That is where I got mine. It says it was brand new and the packaging appears to have been unopened, but it paired to Hubitat fine, so I'm not sure if it was truly new or not.

It likely was. Once paired to a Vivint system you can't pair it to a generic zwave hub anymore. At least no way I know of - might be some super reset function somewhere... There are some posts about it somewhere on the web that I saw...

But maybe that was just users that couldn't figure out how to do a zwave exclude? I didn't dig deeper into it.

1 Like

I have 3 CT-200s. Only had the pairing issue with the one that was brand new, which Chuck didn’t have an issue with. If we had one that did have a pairing issue, there might be some good data to pull from that and I’d happily send someone my new unit (that’s paired and working) to figure out what’s going on.

I actually bought a vivint hub (which @chuck.schwer has now) to run whatever initialization was needed in order to pair my new CT-200 with my home hub.

A factory reset and a z-wave exclude will let you re-pair any CT-200 with Hubitat. :slight_smile:

I’d bet this was it.

Ah, well cool. I wondered if some of the posts I saw regarding not being able to pair after it was already paired to a vivint hub was "user error". Sounds like it was. :+1:

1 Like

Can you show us the device options you can use with it? I want to know if I can control a humidifier.

I'm pretty sure it cannot control a humidifier/dehumidifier/ventilator (like the ecobee3/4 can).

1 Like

Damn again. :slight_smile:

Why isn’t there any z-wave units that can do this?

redacted

@mik3 :slight_smile:

The CT-200 has Humidifier/fan control. I don't have mine wired up though. The manual can be found here:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/ProductManual/File?folder=&filename=Manuals/1678/CT200_UserGuide_20160308.pdf

What terminals do you connect the humidifier control conductors to? I cannot find that in the manual.

1 Like

I pulled mine off the wall to check. My sincere apologies for the bad info. No H/DH ports on the back---but I'll chat with Vivint tomorrow and ask if any newer version got released with it.

I just found a reference on Vivint's website saying that External control didn't make the cut into the 200, despite it being in the manual. I was really looking forward to using this. Good thing I didn't run the wire yet. :grimacing:

edit: Just confirmed with vivint that it never got added :frowning:

1 Like

Damn, and there goes that option. :slight_smile:

The search continues!

Perhaps someone can reverse engineer the forthcoming Google Local home SDK somehow to still allow commands to be intercepted from, and sent to, devices connected through Google Home Assistant. Time will tell... but I'm dreading the period of time between when Nest API access is cut off and the really skilled folks here and elsewhere are able to (hopefully) get a hack of some sort in place so I can keep using my (formerly known as) Nest devices controlled via HE and controlling other devices via HE with triggers.

Does the Vivint have any adjustable "threshold settings"? As in Minimum time off, or minimum run time.?

I have two if these with Hubitat as well. My only complaint is that I can't get them to work with Alexa for the life of me. They worked fine when I had them installed with SmartThings, but I can't get them to appear as an Alexa device now.