No documentation for scenes and "create capture device"

I Googled Hubitat +"Create Capture Device" and there's basically nothing out there. The documentation is very terse and gives no actual working examples. What does this do?

The behavior I'm looking to create is to be able to activate a scene, and then when I turn the scene off, it will return to the previous state (I cannot in this situation create a scene for the previous state because it's never the same).

Also, is there any way to improve the performance of scenes? Even in a scene with only four switches, the Hubitat is painfully slow. I can't think of any reason as to why it would take more than a second to send an on, or an off message to four switches (it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds).

Yes you can. What you will do is use the option to create a capture device to capture the current state of all of the lights before activating your selected scene. Then, whenever that is over, you can invoke the captured scene.

The capture device is a switch that will be created automatically when you select that option and save the scene. The device will be named the same as the scene with "capture" after it. Turning on that device will capture the settings for the lights included in the scene.

However, depending on when you are trying to do this, there are other ways to capture and restore. Namely the capture and restore functions built into Rule Machine. You can capture the state of devices and then after doing something else restore those devices to their previous states.

2 Likes

This has been super helpful.
I have a Roomba scene where I want most of my lights on for it's cleaning, but when done, wanted to get back to the previous state.

And it looks like this works!

Question I have, is the capture option seems to create two devices: A "Scene Name" device and a "Scene Name Capture" device. I understand the second one. Any idea why the first exists and can it be deleted?