No access to a C7 outside my local network

Find,hubitat.com can see my C5 but can not see my C7. If I connect to my local network, I can find the C7 hub if I use Advanced Find and type in the local IP of the C7. The C7 registration screen show my admin account when browsed locally.

Using the Hubitat mobile app I can see and connect to the C5 through my mobile providers network. I can see the C7 hub but it’s grayed out with (unavailable) next to it.

How do I get access to the C7 when not connected to my local network? The C7 has an assigned IP address just like the C5.

Are you a subscriber to Hubitat's new Remote Admin service, and, if so, do you have it for both hubs? (EDIT: Nevermind, one subscription works for all your hubs...I was confusing this with Hub Protection.) If not, what you're describing is normal: unless you use another solution, like VPNing into your home network, then the admin interface (e.g., your hub's IP address in a web browser--whether you do it manually or use the app or Portal/Find site to help you find it) is only accessible from your local LAN. This does not mean that you can't view or control devices when when away; Hubitat Dashboard (and similar third-party solutions) can do this if you set them up.

If you are subscribing, then something else is wrong. Someone may have more ideas in that case. But otherwise, I'd verify the above--notably, whether this hub is enrolled (if that was your intent).

2 Likes

So on the C5 I can access my hub remotely without a subscription, but on the C7 I will need a subscription?

You should be able to use the HE app to access both hubs remotely.

In the app goto settings and chose the Hub you wish to see. So, you are doing this but it won't let you select the C7? If so you should contact support.

I have three hubs on my system two C5s and a C7 and I can access anyone of them using the method above whether I am on my local network or not, using the HE app.

I also have an VPN setup but using the app I don't need it.

I am seeing a different behavior. The Hub Protection Service is definitely a per hub fee. However, the Remote Admin functionality appears to be one fee for all registered hubs. At least I know I only signed up for it on one hub, yet all have it now. :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry, I was indeed confusing the two! This is correct, and I've edited my post.

2 Likes

I do not pay for any of the new services that came out at this time. In the app, not connected to my LAN, I see the C5 and can click on that through the app to access my dashboards. I see the C7 in the app but it’s grayed out and says unavailable. This used to work at one point for what it’s worth. I’ll reach out to support, thanks for the help.

1 Like

You can only have the app "associated" with one hub at a time (though, not without some effort, you can switch that to another hub under Settings). The "Dashboards" tab will take you to dashboards--LAN or cloud--for that hub, so these could work from anywhere. Anything under "Tools" would have only worked when you were at home (or VPNed in, if you set something like that up for yourself), unless you have the Remote Admin service. This should have never been different for you in the past (again, unless you subscribed to Remote Admin).

If you want to use a Dashboard from a hub that isn't associated with the app, you have a couple options. One is to grab the LAN and/or cloud links from Apps > Hubitat Dashboard on that hub (for each dashboard) and use these wherever: bookmarks, "pinned" to your homescreen, etc. An alternative idea is to share the devices from the C-7 to the C-5, assuming the C-5 is the hub the app is associated with, via Hub Mesh or a similar solution, and then use them in Dashboards on that hub so you don't have to worry about the former issue at all.

Where do you see the C7 hub in the app but it's grayed out?

As mentioned, you can only see the dashboard for one hub at a time in the app, but you should be able to switch between all your hubs under settings >> Select Hub

Settings, select hub:

Used to be able to switch between hubs.

Do cloud integrations on your C-7 work? Something like the Amazon Alexa Skill?

Hubitat Package Manager , OWM and Ecobee integrations all work.

I don’t know what OWM is, but the other two don’t require your C7 to be connected to Hubitat’s cloud. Which is what I think the issue is.

1 Like

That is where you should be able to switch hubs, and you don't need any subscriptions. So, as mentioned, it looks like your C7 for whatever reason isn't connecting to the cloud.

check the settings page and Compare them between the C5 and C7 and see if you see a difference. Hub details, registration, etc.

You don't have login security enabled do you? I have never used it so I don't know what kind of errors you might get if you do and it's not logged in.

1 Like

No log in security, settings between the two look the same. Hubitat engineering is reviewing the the ticket.

Hi there, I am unable to connect to my hub from outside LAN. When I click on " Go to Remote Admin" it tries but do not get connected. I recall seeing "invalid hub id" kind of message as well some time. any help will be appreciated. I tried from app and desktop. The subsription is in trial period:

Any suggestions on pushing tech support along besides putting in a new ticket seeing you cant reply to their emails?

You can ask them for an update, but generally if it's been "referred to engineering" they've determined that there isn't a work around or quick fix, so you may be waiting until 2.2.7.x comes out (which I'm seeing references to, so maybe sooner rather than later).

Thanks @thebearmay, when you mentioned wait for the next update I realized I am probably not getting the upgrade available notification. Did the 2.26X update and I can see my hub again.

2 Likes

Spoke to soon, it allowed one connection from one of my phones. That phone is working and I have access. Went to a second phone an I am back to unavailable.