Newbie rule machine question - getting a notification sound playing on Google Speakers

Hi all,
I'm quite new to Hubitat but got some simple rules going with my motion sensors etc. So far, I feel that a lot of community posts have helped out well, but this one I just don't get how to do:
When a motion sensor is triggered, I want a sound to be played at my kitchen speakers that are Google Nest Audio speakers. The trigger events parts is not a problem. I have also managed to successfully trigger a TTS on my Nest Audio spekers when the motion sensor triggers, but how do I get it to play sound, a song or similar? I have seen posts about actuator something and also read threads that have the similar type of question, but I just don't get it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi @wretlund, and welcome to the community!

From your post, I gather that you have setup Ā« ChromeCast Integration (Beta) Ā» to use Google Nest as a sound/speech device.

First, you will need to upload a sound that you want played on your Nest device (.mp3) file. You can do this from the settings menu:

Then, in Rule Machine, you need to create a new rule to trigger on motion active. The action should then be something like this:

The end result should look like this. Note that a .mp3 file from an online source should also work, but I havenā€™t tried it.

Let me know if it works for you, or if you need more help setting it up!

3 Likes

So I finally got around to test this now. It worked like a charm. Thanks Sebastien.

For anybody that wants to do the same thing and sees this post: the one thing that you may "miss" in the instructuons, is that you need to use the parameter type string and then in the parameter insert the URL.

4 Likes

Hey folks;

These instuctions did work. However, I would like to suggest that this is such a trivial and common action to use... play a sound - that it should really be available under the actions in Basic Rules.

I do not understand why it is buried so deep and hard to figure out. You can tell how common this question is if you Google it, it has come up multiple times over the years.

Because of the two steps that are required, it does necessitate a good enough knowledge of Hubitat to implement (or good search capabilities to find a good guideā€¦).

Iā€™m not convinced of the additional value of adding this to Basic Rules, but Iā€™ll tag @bravenel in case he feels that it would be worth the effort to make that addition.

I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes