Newbie Question on Leak Sensors

I'm thinking about getting several leak sensors for the house. How do you guys get alerts that one of them has tripped?

I use Hubitat Safety Monitor to send notifications to my phone and my wife’s.

It’s also possible to use the Notifications or Basic Rules apps. Or even Rule Machine if you need more complex automation logic.

1 Like

Thanks- I didn't know about the Hubitat Safety Monitor- look like that will do it for me.

1 Like

Take a look through the hub documentation pages for more info on the built-in apps (and other good stuff too).

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Documentation

Side note. These work great

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEO-Tuya-ZigBee-Smart-Home-Water-Leak-Sensor-Wireless-Flooding-Detector-Leakage-Detection-Alert-Level-Overflow-Alarm-Life-App-Remote-Control-Works-Wi/510672550

A couple other advantages to HSM...

You can tell it to alert on ALL leak sensors without having to manually select them. It can be configured to send alerts via all sorts of methods. And it will control a water shutoff valve!

I have a bunch of leak sensors all over my house... If any of these sensors detects a leak, it shuts off the main water to the house, announces the leak on my Alexa devices, sends a notification to my phone and with the use of IFTTT (free) ... it calls my cell phone and tells me that a water leak was detected. I have the same setup for fire detection as well. I receive way too many notifications on my phone so I generally don't hear them as emergencies... so for real emergencies like water leak or fire... I use IFTTT to physically call me on my cell phone and when I answer, it tells me what the emergency is!

I do all this via Rule Machine. I don't use HSM.

For fire detection, I use a separate, professionally installed alarm panel linked to HSM. The panel is monitored so while the fire department is on the way I use HSM and rules to sound separate sirens on each floor, turn on all the lights in the house, flash all the lights at the front of the house, and unlock the front door. If we're home.

Many of us have had good success with the Linkind Zigbee ones. 4 for $44 at Amazon ($11 each). Link in this thread:

1 Like

If a water leak sensor detects a water leak, getting an alert is pretty easy. The problem is that what do you do if you get an alert and you are not at home. You might be at work or even out of town.

Ideally, you will also install an automatic shut-off valve near the water intake for your home. I already have a suitable ball valve, so I purchase an actuator to close the valve in the event of a leak.

When cleaning the bathroom floors, my wife has accidentally exposed the sensors to a small amount of water. Hubitat immediately sent an alert that a water leak was detected and then automatically shut off the main water valve. Of course, that was a "false" positive, so I went into Hubitat and turned the water valve back on. My wife now places the sensors in a dry location before cleaning the floors. Then I have to remember to put them back in place when the floors dry.

I also have sensors near the clothes washer, dishwasher, under each sink and near the sump pumps in case they fail.

While many home automations make life easier, good leak detectors and a shut off valve can save you thousands of dollars in repairs should a major leak occur when you are away from home.

2 Likes