Newbie needs help

I have a leviton wifi wall switch that my airbnb guests turn on and off themselves with an alexa command. It turns on/off 50 arcade games at once.

It's quite an amazing thing to witness and unfortunately, no matter how many times I tell them, kids want to turn the arcade on and off repeatedly before the games have finished starting up. Since they're computer based, doing this, causes issues that I then have to fix.

I've tried adding a WAIT 6 minutes command to the end of the ON and the OFF routines but that didn't work. I thought the WAIT command would make the wifi switch inactive for the amount of time I specified but that doesn't seem to work.

Someone said I should look into hubitat.

Is there a way that a hubitat can turn the wifi switch on and off with a voice command (like alexa does) but NOT allow the switch to be turned on or off again for 5 minutes after it has been turned off or on?

I hope that makes sense?

thank you

Welcome. I don't know that this is possible with wifi switch, but definitely with an Inovelli or Zooz Z-wave wall switch. You could even program an announcement-"HEY I told you not to do that!!!" if they violate the rules and flip the switch before 5 minutes

I think the problem you have is the conception that the physical switch is independent of the Logical/remote switch.

The physical switch doesn't really care that it can be controlled remotely. You can buy one in the store, never connect it to your network and it will still function as a switch.

There ARE switches that can be configured to 'break' the internal connection between the physical and the actual power switch. In other words, they are built with buttons, that feed into the remote control logic THEN into the relay that controls the load. You can configure those to function as if you had a set of buttons and the 1" away, a relay that controls the load.

The obvious answer is to convert what you have into something similar to what I've described.. have your WiFi switch NOT control the load. All it does is tell your "System" that someone has touched the switch. Then you have to Add a relay device of some sort... for example Another WiFi switch that is hidden away. The visible switch can then be ignored by the "real" but hidden switch.

Clearly I am not explaining the "System" because I'm not sure you have one, I think you are letting Alexa be that and that would mean your Automations need adjustment for the additional hidden switch and the switch-that-is-just-buttons.

Yes, a Hubitat Hub can become the "System" quite easily. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you can unhook the switch from the physical. and monitor it for turning on /off and then have an in wall micro switch like below that is actually hooked up to the devices..
That way you can monitor the switch and decide which on/off actions to actually honor and then turn on /off the real in wall switch through rules..

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Switch-controller-Z-Wave-Compatible/dp/B06XWT1L5S/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=zwave+micro+switch&qid=1600709279&sr=8-3

If the OP had a Hub, then ZWave would be good. It would allow the use of the Aeon or changing out the WiFi switch with an Inovelli. But from what I read, they are investigating getting a hub.

2 Likes

ya i know i was just trying to explain how it would be done easily if they got a hub.. I think that is what they were asking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.