Newbie (Ireland) Help required deciding upon a smart lock

Hi, before creating this post I searched the Hubitat community and couldn't find anything relevant for Ireland/UK owners.

Anyway, I recently bought a Hubitat (UK/Ireland) and I'm about to set it up.

I'm after a ZWave Door Lock and I'm thinking of this by Yale:

Anyone have it working with their UK/Ireland Hubitat, would you recommend it, whats it like etc etc??

Anyone have any other Zwave Plus or Zigbee door lock set up and working that they'd recommend

I use the Ultion Smart Lock which is based on the Danalock. It looks nice and works well. I have had no major issues with it. I have the zigbee version.
It has the added benefit of being able to behave like a true conventional lock with key which is handy as a backup or for any techniphobes you might have staying with you.
The handle is good quality too.

2 Likes

Thx a mil for your advice there Darren, I'll take a look at that one. Cheers

I have the Yale "Real Living" Zigbee locks here in Co. Wicklow.

1 Like

This lock you suggested, looks the business.
By any chance have you integrated it with a smart alarm?

Your lock looks the business too, have you integrated it with a smart alarm?

Nope. I just use it to see status of lock and be able to lock/unlock on command.

Hey Simon, by any chance when you have a moment would provide a link to the Yale lock you are using. Cheers

https://www.amazon.com/Yale-Security-YRD216HA2605-Deadbolt-Polished/dp/B06ZZQW3XM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=yale+YRD210&qid=1605624766&sr=8-4

Mine is the YRD210 - but looks identical, this must be a replacement for the YRD210

1 Like

So to clarify, and not to be wrecking your head;
The lock you have & the other model you linked above, these are both US versions and I won't have an issue (Zigbee wise) installing them??

Zigbee is the same worldwide, work here in Ireland same as everywhere else.
Z-Wave is the one with regional frequencies, where you need to be cautious when buying.

I live in both Illinois and Wicklow - so very used to all of this !!!

1 Like

Hiya, I've been looking into getting one since they released this a while back, but been shy away because I was unsure if it's compatible with hubitat. So, are you saying that it works perfectly with hubitat? Which driver do you use for it? Thx

The ultion lock works flawlessly with HE.
I use the inbuilt 'generic zigbee lock' driver.

The Yale I posted about above works perfectly with Hubitat.

I'm interested too
I'm from italy and i have same frequency
Looking forward :slight_smile:

Awesome awesome! Thanks how's the proximity feature like? Too gimmicky? Useless? Or pretty spot on?

Also, I've got PVC door with multiple locks when you lift the handle. I'm guessing that this will be compatible for PVC doors?

Cheers

This handle/lock is designed for use with uPVC multi point locking doors so you should have no problem with that.
I have the zigbee version and use HE modes along with webcore to automate locking and unlocking depending on my presence. I use my phone as a presence sensor and it works perfectly although my presence method uses a bunch of scripts on my NAS and router which detects whether my phone is connected to WiFi. It is 100% affective at detecting my presence but is a little bit complex to set up initially. As for the Danalock geofencing I am not too sure. I had a little play with it initially and it seemed OK but I don't think it will be as effective and efficient as my current method. There are plenty of options for automation based on presence. Just make sure you get the zigbee (or z-wave) version and not the cheaper Bluetooth only version.

Thanks. I never looked into webcore as I thought it's more designed for smartthings. Didn't realise that it actually exist for HE. I will look into it. I'm running node red with HE, I wonder if I can do similar things with it.

Thx for this.

Hi Darren,

Just out of curiosity, you said that your presence sensor is pretty spot on. How soon or how long does it take for it to realise that you're no longer presence before then locks the door? How's long do you set for your timeout? I've found a driver code for hubitat to detect network presence, but the soonest timeout I can set is 1 minute. Which also mean that my door won't lock straight after i left the house(which is kinda worrying):grin:

My presence is based on my phone's wifi connection. I have a script that runs every 5 seconds on my router that checks for my phone and my wife's phone using arp. If the state changes it uses curl to make an http get request that goes to the HE APImaker app that then sets a virtual presence sensor accordingly. I have excellent mesh WiFi coverage which covers my entire house and garden but not much beyond those boundaries so as soon as I leave I am detected as being away and by the time I've walked up the drive or got out of the car I'm detected as being home. It's good because the only thing required of the phone is for WiFi to be constantly on and make sure to use the device mac address and not a randomised one. Leaving WiFi on doesn't have a huge impact on the phones battery life unlike some location based apps.
It does depend on having a router that can do all this and also a NAS to push the scripts when the router is rebooted unless you have firmware that can keep things in place. I have an Asus router, if you use the Merlin firmware you don't need the NAS to push the scripts. I use the NAS method as my particular model isn't supported by Merlin.