Newb to Hubitat and am needing detailed instructions

I bought HE a few months ago and now finally go t change to work with it. I am in need of instructions to help a newbie setting up apps and devices. does anyone have any words or docs that can help me

thank you in advance

Have you seen the Hubitat youtube channel?
Lots of helpful videos there to get you,started.

Andy

3 Likes

Well usually you would start with devices, and move on to automating them in some way.

So do you have specific devices you need help setting up?

One tip when adding devices is to thoughtfully name them. If will end up in a specific room, name it "Kitchen Motion Sensor" or "Kitchen Sink Dimmer" and so on. It will make finding and sorting lists of devices easier as you increase the numbers of devices.

List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation AND Community Device Drivers (AKA Compatible Devices Wiki) I would also see if any devices need custom drivers before adding them. Adding the driver first usually makes things easier. Not all devices need custom drivers, there are many built in, and often a generic driver works just fine. You can check the official list of supported devices and the community app/driver lists and maybe figure out what you should expect before you add a device.

One last tip, when you get to apps and even drivers in some cases, the Hubitat Package Manager makes it real easy to add new apps and drivers. Once you install this Package Manager, it only takes a couple clicks to install a fantastic array of community based apps/drivers.

1 Like

There are lots of good tips and tricks here, also.

I am also very new and recently have had to ask a LOT of questions on the forum. Here are some key findings on confusing topics and I hope they help you.

When people talk about "drivers" they are talking about the device "type" in the device detail page.

When people discuss their drivers they are very often referring to a driver provided by a user or the manufacturer, not Hubitat. For example, the driver listed above is the Inovelli-provided driver for that switch and it had to be installed manually. Hubitat provides one too, and your Hubitat will select it automatically, but it is not full-featured. So, when people talk about things in the driver and your driver doesn't have those features... that is probably why. Manufacturer drivers are not provided by Hubitat. You have to go looking for them.

To add a driver you need to find a link to the driver file, which is typically a Groovy file provided at Github. Once you get to that page you need to click this Raw button to get a text-only version of that page.

Copy the link to the raw page and then follow these instructions to add the driver.

To add an app it's the same kind of process, you use a link to import a raw-text file. For the Hubitat Package Manager, which you should totally install, the Groovy link is inside the "apps" folder. (but here is a link to the raw file.)

When you install HPM, if you have not already turned on "hub security," do not enable that switch in HPM setup. "Hub security" is NOT your Hubitat login, it is a different login for device security on your LAN and unless you went out of your way to turn it on, it is not on.

If you follow the guided Hubitat setup your time zone and location will probably not be correct. You're asked for zip code but it is not used for either purpose. Go into "Location and Modes" and set all the fields.

There is no online access to all your devices via mobile app or web app until you build a Dashboard. You may expect that once you have added some switches and stuff to your network, that you can just push those buttons in the mobile app. Nope. You must build Dashboards first.

When you build a dashboard the app will offer to populate it with "tiles" for your devices, but if you accept the offer, its default selections will probably be wrong for many devices. For example I have a Zwave on/off switch, and the default dashboard it appeared as a tile with type "button," and it didn't work at all until I changed type to "switch." Also each dashboard tile has an ID number field, and auto-made tiles leave this blank. You should fix that too and give each button a number.

Learn to love Logs. Use the Logs page to watch live events come in and you can see why things are not working. Some device drivers have buttons that generate various reports and that data may appear in the log, not the device details page.

Hubitat is a very powerful tool with a great community, but there are a lot of little things to learn before you can become effective. I hope this gets you over a few speed bumps. Have fun!

1 Like