New user, MyQ not installing

Won't happen. These are not accessible by Hubitat, nor any other hub. They are locked to MyQ. The Smartthings multi-sensor are the most commonly used tilt sensor for garage doors, and they are about $20 each on Amazon.

1 Like

I may have to add sensors to get the functionality that I had. Part of the problem is, I'm a travel nurse, and gone from my home for months at a time. Not too long ago, I needed to let a contractor in to do work and was unable to remotely open the door, due to the battery on the sensor being dead. Fortunately, I have 2 doors on my garage and the battery for the 2nd sensor hadn't died so I was able to let him in. It could turn into a nightmare trying to change out batteries for 4 sensors in the off chance they would die out before I get home when I'm gone 3 to 6 months at a time. And when I'm packing to go out, I have many more things to get together than change out batteries everywhere. When I got home from NYC a few weeks ago, the batteries on my schlage garage/house door had died and thank god I had a key with me.

You can always use the MyQ app as a backup to Hubitat.

The other option would be to investigate higher capacity (not voltage) batteries. Many people have added external battery packs to things like the Samsung Arrival sensor (presence fob) due to them chewing batteries. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a contact or tilt sensor if you need that extra capacity.

1 Like

There are no ways directly in Hubitat to access these sensors. However, if you use HomeAssistant in conjunction with Hubitat (via MQTT) or Homekit in conjunction with Hubitat (via HomeBridge), you can bring native MyQ sensor status into Hubitat.

1 Like

If you look at what I posted, Dashboard has settings that are adjustable for row height and width, as well as how many tiles high and wide. I use 3 tiles wide for lights with the width setting blank for auto fit, that way I don't have to scroll. I never let it auto-setup the dashboard because it makes a mess (could just be my lack of trying since I use Apple Home) and I would rather group devices in a way that makes them easy to find.

2 Likes

You can have a “Batteries Dashboard “ that shows the charge status of all of your batteries. That’s what many of us do.

Regarding the clunky dashboard, try out the Smartly dashboard project. Also, regarding the mobile dashboard, my solution is to have one dashboard optimized for iPhone and another for the iPad.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-smartly-v1-06-custom-icons-thermostat-re-design-custom-dashboard-link-labels-and-icons/36681

3 Likes

thanks for your suggestion. I have tweaked them on my PC and they look fine, but still wonky when viewing on my cell phone. I have them set up for 1st row to be rooms, with individual devices below each "heading".

1 Like

Well, I got the ST sensors and installed the devices in HE. I set them up as tilt. I re-ran the Myq install, choosing the sensors and no buttons. I'm using the garage control template and the sensors themselves as the device in dashboard, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Bay1 is open and shows as open. Clicking the icon prompts if I want to do this, but it does nothing. Bay2 shows as opening, but it also is open from a direct "open" click in the Bay2 device itself, but won't close now. Do I need to set up a rule or is that only for alexa integration?

Thanks in advance for any help!

just going to add what the devices show.

bay 1

Current States

• battery : 100
  • door : open
  • doorSensor : Bay1Sensor is open
  • lastActivity : 07/30/2020 01:07 PM
  • lock : unlocked

Bay 2

Current States

• CloseButton : normal
  • OpenButton : normal
  • door : opening
  • doorSensor : Bay2Sensor is null
  • lastActivity : 07/30/2020 01:10 PM

Sensor 1

Current States

• acceleration : active
  • temperature : 92.97
  • threeAxis : [x:-15,y:0,z:0]

Sensor 2

Current States

• acceleration : inactive
  • temperature : 95.35
  • threeAxis : [x:0,y:0,z:43]

Adding pics from dashboard

Myq

It is apparent that your door 2 sensor isn't reading in the MyQ app. So that is why the state is wrong, it is basically unknown.

I have never done a multi-door install of this app, so I am not sure how to do that. However, I suspect that you need two instances of this app. Is that how you did this, or are they all in one app? Did it actually let you select both sensors in one instance of this app?

Hopefully someone else can verify what to do with multiple doors.

Myq app itself lets you have up to 2 myq sensors/doors per myq hub. The screenshot from the myq was the last I took and accurate. The dashboard tile is the one that hasn't updated, showing that bay2 is opening. When I initially opened bay2 through button in the device's properties, the myq app still showed it closed, when it actually was open. But I've also been unable to get it to open/close again through the device's properties again.

If you're referring to one instance of the HE Myq app, yes, after verifying my account, it pulled the devices I have registered, bay1 and bay2.

I also thought it was weird that the attributes for the sensors are listed in different orders.

Maybe one last thing before I get too above my head.

Can you post screenshots (not copy paste) of both door device pages, in particular the top and middle of the page up to where it says Save Preferences.

1 Like

Here ya go. I did change them to garage door opener from myq lock door to see if that changed anything. Also, for tile, am I supposed to use the door device or sensor device? I'm using the garage control template.

Sorry, can you do the sensors too?

By the way, it will keep the thread more easy to read for everyone (less scrolling) if you click the gear in the bar above where you type your reply (where the bold, italics and so on are), and select Hide Details.

1 Like
Summary

This text will be hidden

Pics of sensors.

Right away I would set one thing different on those sensors.

In the Preferences section, the top left box should be selected ON. (Do you want to use this on a garage door)

After that hit configure, and run the door and see what happens.

1 Like
Summary

This text will be hidden

I think, and could be wrong, that if I did that, I'd have to set it up as a contact sensor. I'm trying to use it as a tilt, where both sides stay connected and don't separate but move with the door. I picked that up in one of the threads, but I may have misunderstood how the setting worked.

You are reading that backwards. It acts like a contact UNLESS you select that, then it works without a magnet. Flip the switch and see what happens.

1 Like
Summary

This text will be hidden

Okay. Changed both. No change on the status on dashboard. Tried open button in door properties, nothing. Tried hitting button on tile, nothing.

Btw, what's the difference between setting them up as door opener vs lock? I thought you did lock unless you had the 3rd party sensor.