New user, maybe old questions? :)

Hi,

Just ordered Hubitat Elevation hub. My original plan was to test it and compare it to ST hub which I'm using now. As I red some topics I soon found out that using both hubs at the same time is not suitable way for me to continue..so ... I'm most likely migrating from ST to Hubitat even though I do not have real life experience with Hubitat. (local processing would be so cool)

Here's my few questions. I would appreciate if someone could answer..

• Can I import my 50 WC pistons easily from ST to Hubitat or do I need to build them again?
    =
  • Are you guys using Teamviewer etc. for remote access portal.hubitat.com?
    =
  • Does Android application allow remote access to devices without additional hazzle?
    =
  • If I'm not finding for example my Fibaro Smoke Detector from the "list of compatible devices" does that mean that next thing is to search it from community built drivers? (same process as in ST)
    =
  • I'm using Jetpufs automated blinds (ST build) but I see that Arduino sketch for my ESPs includes lines for Hubitat confuguration too. Is there a Hubitat "smartapp" for the blinds same way like ST has so that I can continue using my automated blinds?
    =
  • I think I know answer for this already but just to confirm.. my Sharptools Dashboard are created from ST sensors and all of that information. I do need to build all my dashboards again because sensors are removed from ST and added to Hubitat? There is no way to make this transition easier in any way?
    =

I’ll answer what I can and then leave the rest for someone else to chime in on.

webCore pistons, easiest way to migrate them is to do the green snapshot like you would to share the piston, and use the import code that it generates to pull them over.

Many people use TeamViewer for that purpose, I personally prefer a dedicated VPN but I’m an old info-security guy.

App still requires you to be on the same subnet as the hub to access the devices, etc. So you either need to be local or using a VPN to the subnet.

The next 3, I’ll take a swag at but others will need to chime it verify.

Fibaro smoke detector - believe this may be the most current:

There are a few community blinds apps, not sure if the Jetpufs have support though.

To the best of my knowledge, the Sharptools will need to be recreated, but someone here may know a better/the best way of doing that.

BTW - Welcome to the Community!

2 Likes

The only experience I have for the questions you asked is about WC. For me I just made a copy of the piston from one instance to the other.

If you select create a duplicate piston it will allow you to copy pistons from your ST instance into your HE instance. Then you will need to update the instruments of coarse.

Other than using my buttons as they work slightly differently in HE all my piston ran as is.

Also look at Hubconnect. As you can import your stuff over a little at a time. That is what I did. You say it is not an option, but I had both hubs setup side by side basically for a few weeks while I migrated. I left some instruments on my ST hub for several months in fact.

I just recently got all my remaining Z-wave and Zigbee devices onto my C-7 hub. I still have my Arlo cameras and Leviosa Shades on ST, and I am controlling them via HE with Hubconnect.

Regarding SharpTools, I just completed the transition and the process was manual. In retrospect, I wish that I took screenshots to document my layout.

In my case (a few dozen devices across 4 dashboards) it was a small hassle compared to excluding and re-pairing all of the devices.

FYI - Hubitat does have a dashboard function, but my personal preference was to keep using SharpTools.

1 Like

Ok so basically I'm going to go with teamviewer with laptop and with android too :slight_smile:

I found this one also and I think that it's going to work!

This is at the moment my biggest concern. Basically blinds do their thing when http request are sent. I need some way to add them as devices to Hubitat so that they can be added various automations.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ok so this will be easy task. It might be that I do not even have to do that much if Rule Engine works as good as what I red.

Well this is possible I guess but I'm kind of straight forward type of guy and I mean I would like to migrate everything at once. Just listed my devices and I actually have two devices left from 200 which are still question marks.

• Popp water shut off valve (did not yet find information if this works or not)
  • Weather Tile for Sharptools. (I'm using ST weather tile and I believe there is something similar in Hubitat too. This is minor problem if there is not)

Yours seems to be quite fast and easy task. I have two main dashboards and one dashboard per room or timer page. So basically I have somethin like 15 dashboards with ST sensors. Now that they will be gone I need to do... a.... lot...of....work... :slight_smile:

• Does Android application allow remote access to devices without additional hazzle?

The android app allows easy access to dashboards. If you put the devices and functions that you want remote access to on a dashboard, it works well remotely.

To access my hub for admin functions or anything not on a dashboard, I am running wireguard on my router and can connect through wireguard VPN from my phone or laptop. Then I just connect to the hub using the local ip. I rarely need to do this, I just have it set up in case I need to do some troubleshooting when I am away. Otherwise, I just use the dashboards I have setup in the app if I need to control or monitor something.

Hub admin functions ..they will be done by using Teamviewer. Actually there is not many times that I have needed ST IDE when I'm not home so this is actually not an issue at all. Everything else (device on/off type of actions) can be made via sharptools dashboard so this part is going to be ok.

not entirely true. if you have cloud dashboards set up then you can access them without being on the same network

1 Like

I noticed this one too:
"In order to use cloud services like Amazon Alexa, Google Home or remote access to Hubitat Dashboard, you will need to register your hub with a Hubitat Cloud Services account."

I do not yet have my hubitat hub but I assume that there will be link in the portal where cloud service can be activated. Without hub there is just that text that I copy-pasted.

I was using Teamviewer, but I recently switched to Chrome Remote desktop, specifically because I find their mobile (iOS) app better and easier to manage with touch, tap and their mouse mode.

+1 for chrome remote desktop, -10000 for google controlling free speech

2 Likes

Sticking with the whole "keep it local" philosophy I prefer using a VPN like wireguard running on my network. Don't get me wrong the HE cloud access is very useful but would like to keep things as cloud services/internet independent as possible.

While I love tinkering with this stuff and learning about and incorporating new things the ultimate goal for my house (and my residential clients) is to have a stable system that you can mostly forget about aside from changing batteries here and there.

Not sure this will ever really happen but one can dream.. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

One more thing about webcore. Webcore is local on Hubitat and instructions seems to point to use dashboard.webcore.co which is same address as when used with ST (via internet). Do I need to create new account to webcore or... how do I access local webcore dashboard if my DNS points to public webcore dashboard?

The webCore editor (Dashboard) can be hosted locally on your own server or run from the cloud; either way the resultant pistons are stored and run locally on your HE. To get access to the cloud editor use the dashboard function or register browser (if you wish to access from a browser external to the app) function in the app - same way as you did in ST.

Ok, nice to know. Is the webcore account still same or do people usually create new account when migrating from st to hubitat?

Account is the same, it just creates another instance for HE (each instance can have it’s own password though).

2 Likes

Can someone explain me this cloud access and local access. I installed my hub by going portal.hubitat.com. Found a hub and installed also application to android. Now I can manage my hub from lan but it also seems that I can do something with android application when using from internet. Now when I go to browser in LAN and write portal.hubitat.com it opens page with my hubitat account. It asks me to add hub same way as was done at the beginning. I can find my hub but it asks that do I want to give access to current user to access my hub. Kind of sounds like it would like to add me as a new admin to hubitat and change current admin (still me) as secondary user. User account ..I mean email with password is same in both cases.
Is this just something that I shouldn't be worried about. Should user even use portal webpage after installation is done and everything seems to be working great?

I believe the app is assuming you want to configure a new user/device for use. Handy if you need to add a spouse or significant other, but otherwise ....

thanks @thebearmay. So its harmless and it's how it is supposed to be.

I spent few hours doing migration and few questions came up if you guys can give me suggestions..

1. I have two identical Fibaro Motion sensors. I paired them and updated status by pressing button in motion sensor. How come they report different information.
    THIS ONE IS SOLVED. There's pending changes and they are slowly updating..

2. I have Fibaro Smoke Detectors. Found this link and installed groovy.
    [RELEASE] Fibaro Smoke Sensor
    When button is pressed sensors log file say this:

2021-01-28 12:17:08.308 warnSmoke Sensor Living Room zwaveEvent(Command) - Unhandled - cmd: VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:3, zWaveProtocolVersion:4, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:24, applicationVersion:3, applicationSubVersion:3)

Nothing to worry about?

Also what is that fibaro smoke detector json file in github. I did just copy that fibaro smoke detector groove file and I assume that is enough right?

1. For some reason my webcore pistons are not working. I did take a backup and import them one by one to hubitat side. Resumed couple of pistons but nothing happens. I did not have time to see what's going on but probably this will be solved later when I have more time.

Actually can someone confirm that send push notification on piston works same way in Hubitat as it works in ST. Should I get push notification from my Hubitat App?

EDIT: it's probably this section which need to be configured to receive push notifications from webcore.

1. Popp water shut off valve was not easy to pair. Finally got it and had to change device to Dome water shut off. It seems to work as Dome but started to think that is that safe to use other driver which is not made for the exact device. I mean..if generic driver would work should I prefer that? I did not find any popp users here.

2. What purpose does device* line have:

Here's example from one of the devices. It's Hank one key but when paired hubitat said it is Aeotec Nanomote. I changed type to hank one-key and device is working. I gave it a Device label name but what about that Device name. Where is that used and can I changed it without problems. And.. does it even matter what it is because most likely log files uses device label line right?

Looks like you’ve found answers to most of your questions, but I’ll clarify a couple of them for you anyway. Device Name is defaulted to the Name found in the first Driver paired. Device Label is normally used for most displays (Name used if Label is blank) but you can change both it and the Device Name without harm - the apps and system use the device ID for referencing.

Drivers, generally there is a built in that works (the Generic usually has good coverage for the device class), but sometimes the manufacturer or a community member will write a speciality driver to bring out additional features or capabilities beyond the generic - HE will attempt to match to the closest driver based on the device fingerprint but you can override at any time (remember to hit the Configure after changing the driver to initialize all properties of the driver though).

webCoRE should be able to create a piston on the HE side by copying the piston from the ST side - devices will need to be re-linked. Push notifications will go to the devices you select in the app configuration and the Notifications section of the Mobile App.

The Fibaro groovy file is what you wanted, the JSON file allows the Hubitat Package Manager (I’d highly recomend installing this community app) to install and manage the driver for you. The unhandled command is possibly an extra capability or a newer version of a command - generally an indication that the driver was written against a prior generation of your device’s firmware; so not an exact match but if everything you need is functioning not an issue.

1 Like