New unreliabilities in Kwikset z-wave locks

The struggle continues...

I have 5 Kwikset z-wave locks. I created the Reliable Locks app because they would sometimes take commands from Hubitat, but not send their new state back. So Reliable Locks would do an extra refresh, to ensure the state got back to Hubitat.

However, now I have a new problem. A couple weeks ago, one of the locks stopped reporting state changes from manual locking/unlocking. I would turn the latch by hand, and it would just never tell Hubitat about the change.

Things I've tried:

• Changing the batteries
  • Z-wave refreshes
  • Unpairing/repairing
  • Full factory reset and repairing

This one lock just doesn't report manual changes anymore.

But it gets better. This morning, two more of my locks stopped reporting as well. So now 3 out of 5 don't report manual locking/unlocking.

Has anyone found a solution for this? Do I just need to buy 5 replacement zigbee chips off ebay and convert them to zigbee? That's going to be expensive, so I'd rather avoid it.

Thanks!

This is what has solved many of us's issues with zwave locks Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

1 Like

I've mentioned it in other posts, but I've had zero issues once I switched to a zigbee lock. I had a Schlage BE469 on 3 different platforms (Vera, ST and HE). I had issues on all 3. It's possible that I had a defective unit, but I got tired of dealing with it. I know it's an expensive option, but zigbee seems to be much more reliable. Plus, if you consider the options of adding extenders, how much are you really saving yourself in the long run by not going zigbee?

He said he has 5 locks x about $200 a piece = $1000

4-5 extenders/amplifiers for about $25 a piece = $125

1 Like

Not guaranteed to work. Zigbee works 100%.

I can guarantee it worked for me and a few others, but YMMV.

I have no issue with providing opinion/suggestions, which is exactly what I stated with YMMV and did NOT claim it would "guarantee" a solution, it just was a (MUCH cheaper) solution for many, unlike yourself who makes a 100% claim when there are posts that disprove that claim. Kwilset 912 - #7 by mmuniz317

I think I may end up going with the zigbee chips. I won't switch out my existing locks. I can buy the zigbee chips on ebay for 50-75 each it seems. And maybe resell my z-wave chips for less than that.

I already have a ton of wired z-wave plus devices (mostly GE switches), so I'm not confident that range extenders will solve it for me.

1 Like

FWIW, I had 5 Zwave Plus switched/repeaters within 10 feet of one problem lock and 2 Zwave plus repeaters within 5 foot of the other problem lock and had issues that are now resolved with adding 4 of the extenders/AMPLIFIERS...... Do what you feel best, just wanted to provide as much information as possible.

1 Like

I have a 910 that has been working without issues for about 9 months. I do remember having to bring the lock within inches of the hub to pair it, but once paired it was fine. I do have Z-Wave plus switches right next to the door.

Well, I have one zigbee chip on the way from ebay. Going to put it in the first lock that started misbehaving. Fingers crossed it improves things.

I switched my Yale Assure SL from Zwave to Zigbee. Best decision. Very stable now.:grinning:

I guess each enironment plays a role, so some claim z-wave is "better". I hate z-wave, however my Schlage BE469 has been perfect on ST and now HE, both hubs less than 6 foot line of sight to hub.

Many more headaches for me with z-wave, pairing , dropping, not reporting, outside of my lock
Zigbee much much more reliable, at least in my house, and faster too, for me

My zigbee chip from ebay arrived. Was only about a 5 minute task to switch it out, and that lock is now behaving perfectly. I'll be watching it for a few days and then decide on ordering more zigbee chips.

1 Like

@jwetzel1492

How are the locks working with the Zigbee modules? I have a Z-wave+ Kwikset 914 lock and got it paired with no problems, but it is not reporting the locks/unlocks to the device itself. I can lock/unlock it from the HE device page, so it is communicating with it. Hub is just on the other side of a wall about 12+ feet away, but there is a Zwave+ plug/repeater about 5ft away across from it.

Wondering if I need to change out the card to Zigbee or not.

I have 3 kwikset w/zigbee and they work perfectly. No missed lock/unlock events. Code used always reported.

I ended up switching only 1 of my locks to zigbee. That one is working perfectly. The rest of my z-wave locks work well as long as I use my Reliable Locks app with them.

I just purchased off of the same Kwikset 914 but with a Zigbee card. I am going to put the card into the garage door lock and install the zwave one at the back door. I'll then see if the zigbee works better. If so, I guess i will have to hunt down a Zigbee card for the 914.

I use the reliable locks app and it is not helping. The lock status is not chaing at all. I have a Zooz ZEN25 plug 6ft away across the hall and the hub is like another 12ft over.

Ah, I think I understand. You're saying that if you physically lock/unlock it, it's not reporting that event back to the hub? If that's the case, yes Reliable Locks won't help. It's a z-wave mesh issue. Reliable locks helps if you are sending commands from the hub but not getting correct status back afterwards.

Unfortunately with these z-wave locks, tuning the distance and layout of the repeaters doesn't really seem to help anything. What they want is for you to have LOTS of repeaters.

1 Like