New to this... Ring via Alexa question

Hey,

Just got my HE Hub yesterday... had a ton of stuff going on, so didn't mess with it until 10 at night and wasn't about to go changing light switches then.   So instead I kept myself up until 1am playing around with some of the cloud stuff I know I want to integrate in....  

I've been very happy with the ring/alexa integration and like that they are giving access to the ring and ring alarm devices in the alexa integration. I was able to easily get that talking with Hubitat and created a couple virtual switches and setup the Alexa routines to drive them. Those seem to be working fine.

Seems, however, that either Ring or Alexa is blocking me from using my smart lock even as a trigger for a routine. I kinda get why they are hesitant to let you lock/unlock from a routine for security. Same reason I can say "Lock my Front Door" but not "Unlock my Front Door". But I don't understand why I can use my contact sensors as triggers but seemingly not my door lock state.

Anyone know if I'm just missing something? I tried Ring customer support and they pushed me off on Alexa support... haven't tried them yet. Just figured someone on here may have either done this and know what I missed or know definitively that they don't support it or have some other idea.

The door lock is paired with the Ring Alarm and my preference is to leave it that way... I like having it automatically disarm ring. I know I could possibly pair it with HE and have that disarm Ring.... but until I get everything running smoothly and I'm more comfortable with my setup... just not ready to rely on that many things to keep me from suddenly having to run across the house to the panel if something fails :slight_smile:

Thanks!

My understanding is that for smart home devices integrated with Alexa via an Alexa Skill, only contact sensors and motion sensors can be used as a trigger for an Alexa Routine. This is an Amazon Alexa Skill API limitation, I believe.

That is correct. For security purposes Amazon restricts locks from Alexa routines.

You can unlock your connected front door using Echo. Go to the Alexa app and to the lock device. The settings will allow you to enable unlock and the ask for a PIN (4-digit) used to validate yourself when requesting. This works great. (I use it for my Garage Door (run as a lock) and my front door lock.

As far as using Ring to queue the lock, I have not done that. As a matter of fact, I try to keep open and unlock commands completely isolated from external routines. It reduces unintentional open / unlock actions.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like this isn't quite going to do what I want. For the full pictures, what I'm ultimately trying to get to.... I got the Inovelli dimmers (haven't installed yet) and what to make use of the notification LEDs on them. Plan was to pull in the lock states, etc... and set the LED color just so I know when I'm shutting off the lights at night if all my doors are closed and locked.... Not trying to lock/unlock from HE - don't have a use case worth the risk of accidental unlocking for that, I agree with that statement..... just want the current state... Looks like I'm out of luck unless I want to pair the lock with HE... I JUST got my wife to install the ring app though, so she can unlock for the babysitter if she forgets her code or something..... long way to go to convince her to put another HA app on her phone :slight_smile: And again... hesitant to do that anyway. Thanks for unfortunately confirming my suspicion.

More importantly.... who knows what the heck I typed that made this message board web app put my first paragraph in a code box in my first post!? hahaha

You can do what you want if you setup the following app. This will allow you to use your Ring paired devices as triggers. It will create virtual devices for all of the Ring paired devices, including your locks, that you can control via HE.

Edit:

I just wanted to add that I am also using the Inovelli dimmers for notifications. You will be able to do this for lock state, HSM/Ring status, etc.

3 Likes

Awesome! I will try that.... got a whole list of Christmas stuff on the to do list, so... might not be for a week,.... we'll see how much time I can squeak out of my evening for the fun stuff! :slight_smile: thanks for the recommendation

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.