New to Hubitat

Hello I'm fairly new to Hubitat and home automation for the most part. I've got a few treatlife light switches tied into my Amazon Echo and they work fine. I'm looking for some known good devices that work with hubitat. I know there's a list of compatible devices but what do you guys recommend. I need one of each below.

Light Switch
Motion sensor
Thermostat
Door Lock

Preferably the work with both Amazon Echo and google home.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted a billion times so I'm going to keep digging around in the mean time. thanks guys.

My personal favorites here, all working great on my HE.

2 Likes

Welcome!

Light Switch - Lutron Caseta (you can read how I got started down this path here: "Best" Lighting Solution)

Motion sensor - CentraLite/SmartThings/Sylvania - all made by CentraLite (I think CentraLite also made the Iris ones), Nyce

Thermostat - I don't play here. I have a Carrier Infinity system which is highly proprietary.

Door Lock - I have a Schlage Z-Wave. I cannot recommend it.

1 Like

You don't need to worry about that at the device level: in most cases, Hubitat is your bridge between your device and Amazon/Google. For example, with a Z-Wave or Zigbee lock, they won't speak to the voice assistant directly; Hubitat is in the middle, and you integrate Hubitat with the voice assistant. (There are rare exceptions to this--like if you have Hue Lights on a Hue Bridge, the Bridge can integrate with Hubitat but can also speak directly to Alexa/Google Home.)

I echo most of the above picks: Inovelli and Zooz both have smart switches and dimmers at good prices (check for compatibility with your wiring and load) unless you wanted Lutron. The Iris v2 motion sensors are great but discontinued so hard to find; the currently-available Sylvania/Lightify sensor is nearly the same. The SmartThings (current/2018 gen) motion sensor is also good but bulkier than the rest (but has more flexible mounting options). I don't have strong reocmmendations for Thermostat, but I'm pretty sure the Ecobee integration is cloud, so consider whether that's important to you (I had a Zen and it was fine aside from odd readings like setting it to 60 but it reporting 59.8; I have a Powerly now but I think that's mostly a whitelabel for utility companies; and if could afford it I'd probably get a KonoZ or, if I liked the way it looked, a Centralite Pearl).

I also have a Z-Wave Schlage Connect. I love the lock, but Z-Wave locks are problematic for many people. They have a Zigbee version I'd probably recommend instead unless you're sure your Z-Wave mesh is solid. If you don't need a keypad, I used a Kevo Convert on a side door and don't mind it, though I didn't find the installation instructions super-clear.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I’ve got a 67 home project coming up and am trying to figure out what to deploy.

This might help you decide. Ultimately everyone has their own personal preferences for one reason or the other.

I agree with the above but I also use Ecolink motion sensors outside. I like these for the pet immunity. There are quite a few stray cats in the neighborhood and the Ecolinks don’t give me false positives.

Inside I just ordered 30 of the old Iris sensors to play with.

The cats trip my Ecolinks, my SmartThings, and my Zooz sensors. I get a lot of nice pictures of them with my security cameras. And the raccoons. And a few birds and squirrels.

2 Likes

I stuck an Iris (3326-L) motion sensor on my front porch pointed toward the front door. The neighbor's cat kept tripping it and ringing my doorbell. I put up another one and setup a Zone Motion Controller using False Motion Reduction. I've not had anymore false positives but it's picked up all the people that have come to the front door. Might be worth a try... unless you want to keep getting pictures of the animals.

Oh I do. I really enjoy seeing who (or what) drops by.
But a good idea for others . . .

1 Like

Interesting, they have been very “pet immune” for me. I have them tied to nine recessed can lights, six 4 foot LED tube lights and a pair of BR30s. I figure the neighbors don’t want those flipping on and off all night. :wink:

For my indoor use case I don’t mind the cat tripping them. Well, I don’t think I’ll mind. I have to wait for delivery and then write all the special apps I want.

You might be able to flask tasmota on your treatlife switches