New to Hubitat

I’m sorry. I know others have asked this before in the past. I’m fairly advanced SmartThings user. I am using WebCore, IFTTT and other 3rd party apps/drivers. Full integration with Assist and Alexa. I typical, if I’m luck, have 15 minutes a week to work on these types of things. So, taking a week to dedicate to migration and getting all of the apps, rules and devices to work; I just don’t have. If I understand there is a application/method that I can get a Smartthings hub to work with a Hubitat hub as a single solution. Is that correct? If I can migrate devices and then rules on my terms and conditions this will be much easier for me. Especially, getting notifications and texting working in the hub it take some addition time, effort and cost. Is there a way to do this? Thank you for your help and sorry again if others have asked. I seen a lot options in the past. However, some methods seem better then others. Thank you for your help and time.

There are really only two ways to do what you want. The older Other Hub app can create devices on ST from Hubitat that can be used bidirectionally, but it's a bit limited in comparison to the competition nowadays (which by no means implies that I don't appreciate how much use I got out of it before). That competition now would be HubConnect, which you undoubtedly discovered in your searching. You can use it to get ST devices into Hubitat or vice versa. Either way would work for you, depending on whether you want to first try leaving your devices paired to SmartThings and just moving the logic over to Hubitat (then swapping out the device in all your apps when the device itself is really moved) or move your devices over to Hubitat while keeping the logic in ST (swapping out the ST device for the new HubConnect device in all your SmartApps/pistons and later recreating the same logic on Hubitat at your convenience). As you may be aware, ad you move devices, you may be destroying one mesh as you create another. With enough repeaters, this won't necessarily be a problem, and there isn't one "right" way to do this, but it's something to keep in mind (and something you can see others commenting on with some searching as well).

The third and oldest option is Hub Link. The advantage here is that there is little to set up on it Hubitat side (the app and drivers are all already built in) and minimal setup on the ST side (one or two SmartApps and maybe a DTH?). The disadvantage is that this is one-way only, ST to Hubitat, so it's mostly only usable for sensor-type devices wherever you won't need to send anything back and is also only suitable if you want to start building logic on Hubitat first rather than moving devices first.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you very much for the information. Hub connect seems the way to go for at least me. I think I have enough devices to keep the mesh environment going during the transition. Great information thank you so much again.

1 Like