New to Hubitat with Existing WiFi Smart Home

Hey all,
I have an existing smart home using exclusively WiFi switches and plugs. Everything just connects with Smart Life or Kasa and is controlled with a series of Amazon Echo devices. I recently got a Hubitat C7 for Christmas and my was disappointed to learn how complicated WiFi integration seems.

Ultimately, I'd like all my smart home devices running through Hubitat and use a tablet as a dedicated dashboard to control everything in the house while maintaining Alexa's functionality (for now).

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, but I'm willing to put in the work to make this happen.

Are there any good tutorials for creating drivers or apps for Smart Life and Kasa?

Do any drivers or apps already exist? And if so, what's the best way to search for those user drivers and apps so I don't waste everyone's time in this forum?

Finally, am I going to be missing out on anything besides convenience by using WiFi plugs and switches? Is there some functionality that I won't have that will result in me switching everything to Z-Wave in a year (making this WiFi effort a waste of time)?

A lot of what I found has assumed some level of familiarity with drivers and user apps, and I have literally none. I really appreciate your patience and time helping me get off the ground here!

1 Like

There is a Kasa community app currently, I’m not sure about smartlife.

I left a wifi setup that was mostly Kasa & Alexa and first went with HE, zwave, & Alexa. Later, after about $300 invested in zwave, I decided that zigbee's speed and low maintenance was what I wanted. This was just before the Kasa integration, so I did not port any Kasa devices.

My first suggestion would be to look long and hard at whether zigbee or zwave would be best for you. Read deeply here about motion detector speeds, physical size of house/installation, ghost devices, etc. I'm a diehard zigbee fan, but it is fair to say that the HE community is (amicably) split about 50-50 on device preference.

search

The forum search is good, but I prefer google search with "hubitat" whatever for deep searches.

I believe that HE is 95% zigbee and zwave use oriented, but it does support some wifi devices. If you really want to use the HE to it's fullest potential then switching to zigbee or zwave will be the way to go. I started with ST using zigbee, zwave and some wifi led lighting, all of the were supported by ST. I switched to HE and I was lucky that all my devices including the wifi lighting were supported. I have had great success with HE but Rule Machine takes some getting use to. Good luck to you whatever you end up doing. JMHO.

1 Like

HE is certainly focussed on z-wave and zigbee although I am not a fan of either. This is predominantly because my home just doesn’t suit radio based technologies and they become unreliable. However they are very cost effective, battery efficient for sensors and undoubtedly well suited in retrofit situations.

Coming from the HA market before these Z devices I hardwired a lot of my devices (all sockets, lights, thermostats etc) and so use that. Out of choice with radio I use WiFi except for battery powered devices. I have hundreds of end nodes but only a dozen or so on z-wave or zigbee. On WiFi/wired IP I use MQTT as the fundamental intermediary between everything. Love it.

Re SmartLife and other apps/devices a lot of these are based on Tuya firmware. These are controlled via the cloud API unless you reflash the devices. This will be a fundamental decision for you to make as the available integrations also become cloud dependent (unless you reflash to Tasmota or similar).

I do use Tuya devices locally integrated via another platform into MQTT. I do not want Internet dependence.

I’m happy with WiFi / Wired but I had the wired infrastructure in place and use other IP based controllers eg C-Bus lighting. If needed I can knock up a custom driver for any weird new device I acquire.

Z devices are definitely the best supported on HE and in a cooperative home I understand they do work well, they just don’t for me.

Read this completely. Basically anything that you can say to an Amazon Echo can be done with virtual devices, and done with custom actions. It can be a bit complicated, but if you read the whole thing, this can be a good step to getting it going with HE.

If you are a tinker-er and are not afraid to use a soldering iron or get a 3d-printed jig, there is a strong possibility to convert the Tuya devices via flashing new firmware to software called Tasmota. There is a Tasmota device manager in HE on Hubitat Package Manager to add them to HE. I know this paragraph is a lot to digest, but it works great. I have 58 Wifi Tasmota devices in HE, all 100% off the cloud, 100% local control, and flawless.

Make sure to install the Hubitat Package Manager app. It contains many great apps and drivers and has a keyword-based search function.

A lot of the reason Wi-fi isn't much supported in HE is due to using cloud services for the majority of applications (as well as proprietary communications in which few companies ever open their API) As stated above you can use google or alexa with virtual switches but this isn't ideal. You should switch to z-wave and/or zigebee. Personally for my switches/dimmers I use Lutron Caseta (they just work). For battery powered devices I mostly use zigbee, for hardwired I use z-wave. Stay away from zigbee bulbs with repeaters in them (the general consensus is that Sengled are the best bulbs)

As to your last question about missing out. Again the issue is with cloud. If your internet goes down or if your manufacture's cloud goes down, everything comes to a screeching halt whereas zigbee and z-wave will continue to operate without a care in the world because with HE everything is 100% local. Zigbee and Z-wave protocols are also pretty open and compatible. RF wise you're not saturating your bandwidth nor dealing with proprietary bull pucky...

1 Like

Apologies for the length of this post, but hopefully it helps someone. As @rlithgow1 notes, dependency on the cloud is a big issue with most wifi devices, along with the fact that most consumer routers are just not designed to support the number of devices that can be simultaneously active in an automated home. They might get an IP address, but the traffic can become an issue. But manufacturer cloud reliability is often the Achilles heel.

Here's my personal experience: Just prior to COVID, we had three properties in two states, all running some level of automation and one with two separate buildings that each had its own network. One property had a business class (commercial) cable internet through Comcast that was highly dependent on the cloud except for pre-programmed devices like thermostats. Another property had FIOS and only cloud-dependent devices, and a third had a "sketchy" internet connection via satellite with consumer-grade LTE backup (a rural property) but very little cloud dependency by design, because of the less-reliable internet at that location. As it turned out, the most reliable of those three properties in terms of staying "up and running" was actually the rural property, NOT because of the property's internet connection (which was by far the weakest), but rather because it had no almost no dependency on cloud-based devices. I don't think we ever lost the FIOS connection but manufacturer cloud services did go out, several times. The business class cable internet went out more than once, and similar dependencies on the manufacturer's cloud existed, so that property was "down" the most, even with a business-class internal backbone (router, switch, APs, etc.,) which never failed or even hiccuped. Again, the problem was the manufacturer's cloud services. But the rural property, with many automated devices, never truly went down because it wasn't cloud-dependent. Sometimes it was achingly slow to communicate when I logged in to check on it and it was limping by on the consumer-grade LTE backup connection (e.g., when snow covered the satellite dish), but the property itself just chugged along, communicating over its "internal", local network (z-wave, in that case). We did have one cloud-dependent thermostat that would run a pre-programmed schedule even when it lost its connection (a Nest, in the garage) and that was the device that was by far the least reliable. I replaced it on our next trip back to the property with a GoControl, which has been flawless.

We made the decision to move full-time to the rural property when COVID hit, and have decided to stay there permanently (just accelerated a retirement plan before the retirement itself). So, we upgraded the internet as much as possible to allow for work from that location (three simultaneous, redundant ISP feeds from three different suppliers, which makes internet cost more than all other utilities combined!) so now we stay up and running reliably in terms of the internet. But do we still see outages with a few devices? Only when the cloud provider is having a hiccup! So, we restrict dependency on cloud devices/services to "convenience" things such as Alexa. The cloud is a wonderful thing, but IOT/HA suppliers whose services depend on it still have outages more than many of us find acceptable. So, local control is what many HA enthusiasts still advocate.

Hope that experience helps someone going forward... Cloud-based devices and services are great, but only for convenience. When it MUST work, keep it local. And for truly essential things like heat, I'd have at least one backup system that reverts back to a truly "dumb" device, with as little automation as possible (e.g., a mechanical thermostat wired in as a failsafe).

3 Likes

That's a far more in depth explanation than mine by far. It's also a great example of the case against wifi dependent home automation. As an added note, Madcodger's explanation is by no means unique. This is also the main reasons people abandoned Wink and Smartthings for Hubitat. 100% local automation. You can still reach it while you're away, but even if your internet goes out or the cloud server serving up the phone app goes tits up, you can have faith that everything at home is just fine and the moment you connect to your home network (even though internet is down) you can still control things from your tablet/phone.

1 Like

Remember that Wifi does not mean:
a) Cloud dependence
b) Unreliable because of too many devices.

How? Tasmota. 100% local. Hubitat device management. Extremely reliable (100%). Inexpensive.

There is a cost... That is the investment in time to learn to convert your devices to Tasmota. If lucky they can be Tuya-Converted Over the Air, but those days are pretty much over. If you can spend some time with it and figure it out and do it, it is very worth while. Youtube and Discord are your friends.

I currently have 68 wifi Tasmota devices, About half are wall switches and dimmers, the other half color bulbs. I average $10/device on my spend. Do the math on the z-wave switches for just the economic factor of this solution. How much would 30 Lutron switches cost? Not $300.

Read the C-7 Z-wave slew of mesh problems here. Wifi gets bashed and bashed, and people all say get z-wave, yet this forum is filled with C-7 Z-wave problems.

All opinions are fair here, just don't discount Wifi, since you could already capitalize on your existing hardware and get out of the cloud! Good Luck.

I wouldn't "recommend" z-wave due to this. zigbee is much simpler.

No it doesn't BUT, people who start off with WIFI devices then migrate to something like Hubitat and not expecting (or possibly willing/ able) to A remove the cloud dependency and B manage upgrade their routers to a be capable to handle that amount of devices, most will only have a standard ISP routers!

I understand more than the average Jo and have my own router; I am also generally the ONLY person I know that has done that. My sisters place is the only other place that has their own router and that is only because i convinced my brother-in law to get one when they were having network issues. Yet i wouldn't have the ability to implement that many WIFI devices correctly/securly.

100% just don't buy into it in the 1st place if you can. Unless your a network person or willing to jump through them hoops.

1 Like

Agree with all of that! Also, most people who do Home Automation to the point that they buy a hub are also the type who get into the weeds of the more complex side of HA (vs 'Alexa turn on Kitchen light') so exposure to that is a good thing, hoping to shed the light on other perspectives.

Also, I'm a big Zigbee fan for battery operated sensors. I have over 50 zigbee devices - motion and contact sensors. With five zigbee (Iris plugs) repeaters, that setup is also fantatic in HE.

2 Likes

I agree that there are ways to utilize wifi without cloud dependence, but as noted by others, most people aren't going to take the time to utilize those solutions. Wifi is popular for HA because it's an easy, often cheap entry point that appeals to those who want a plug-n-play solution. As such, very few are going to take the time necessary to make it robust. For most people, wifi = cloud, and that's not a great solution for reliability or scale.

1 Like