NEW TO HUBITAT... Question on locks and Carrier Infinity System

Hello Hubitat Family! I just ordered my Hubitat after a lengthy researching journey and am exciting to get started automating. I have a few questions.

We just bought a home and I want to use two different brands of door locks. the 1st Schlage Connect and the other the Kwikset Kevo smart deadbolt. Any feedback on how well these work with Hubitat and using two different brands?

We are using Hubitat to replace monitored security. Can I get recommendations on sensors you are most pleased with? Door sensors, motion detection, and glass break specifically.

Lastly, from what I have read I know I may be disappointed but has anyone found a successful way to integrate with a Carrier Infinity System through the Infinity touchscreen thermostat?

Just looking to get a feel and ideas for these few initial projects.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Welcome!

I have a Schlage FE599 (Z-Wave) and I think it's a bit of a pain. We do seem to have it working now but if I were shopping for a new one I would ask the community here and I would think seriously about getting a Zigbee lock - they seem to work better.

I have not seen or heard of anyone integrating a Carrier Infinity thermostat. I have one and I have been looking for years and found nothing that seems to be worthwhile.

Sorry to be such a downer!

I have 5 Kevo locks and no way in HE to manage them (yet).

If I could go back in time, I'd either get ZW or Zigbee locks (likely Kwikset).

1 Like

Welcome and congrats all around!

I’m one of the type that likes to have my security system be just a security system, so I don’t combine mine with other Hubitat automation, however if you prefer then I would suggest the best contact sensors you can afford and repeaters. to make sure your Zigbee network is stable. NYCE contact sensors and motion sensors would be my recommendation for something as critical as that.

Otherwise, look at either Ring or Abode stand-alone alarm systems. Abode already has lots of integration options available and Ring has potential (more potential and Abode to be locally controlled actually).

For the locks, man that's a highly debated topic. I see a lot of complaints about Schlage, and I also see a lot of praise. Really seems to be the type, model and communication technology for the particular type and model.

Kevo is WiFi bridge isn't it? You're going to need to go to the cloud with that. I do this for my August lock. I use Google Assistant Relay to silently control it from Hubitat and I use a virtual lock in HE that uses IFTTT to update the lock status. WiFi bridges suck.

I have Yale YRD256 Z-Wave Plus on my front door. Love it, but some have not had good luck with the Z-Wave Plus module like I have and prefer the Zigbee radio module. Great lock either way though.

[Update] I now own a Ring Alarm system and use this excellent community integration with it.

2 Likes

Just re-read your post - you have the Infinity Touch Screen. I don't know about that. I have the "older" Infinity thermostat.

In this thread, @damon.dinsmore was working on porting the SmartThings driver for Carrier Infinity. However, it doesn't look like anyone was able to help with the sticking point. If/when it becomes available, I'd like to have that supported as well!

(Upon further reading of the SmartThings thread, it also looks like the ST DTH is read-only, which also limits its usefulness.)

@mbishop Yea, so far no one was able to help and there has been no work around. This is a very important and costly need for me and I am sure many others.

I have the same need for Carrier Infinity. This is doable if we can get an IP to RS232 device (such as global cache IP2SL) working in Hubitat. I can write the Hubitat driver from there. The “protocol” is simple ASCII commands. https://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/Public/02/SAM01-01XA.pdf

All that needs to be added on the carrier side is their “SAM” module which provides the RS232 gateway.

Interesting but lacking multi zone and multi unit support. Also apparently does not work with the WiFi thermostats that I have. But thanks for the info. If I can get rs232 working from Hubitat I can write the driver to support the Carrier SAM “protocol” and this would give multi zone and unit support along with everything else Carrier provides.

I spotted that . . . from what I can tell, the SAM interface box costs $1100. This gets you on the bus for a lot less. Once you have the physical connection, the rest is easy (easier). BTW - thanks for the document on the protocol - I hadn't seen that. Valuable info.

IP to RS232 is cake. I have one (unfortunately not at home), basically a dongle, that I use to transmit AIS signals (ASCII strings) to MarineTraffic. RS232 out of the AIS receiver, then IP to a pre-programmed IP address.

No help with Carrier integration, but I do have an opinion.

We replaced 2 traditional HVAC units that were controlled by Nest thermostats. 1 was replaced with a Carrier Infinity 2 stage, variable fan system, the other with a Rheem Econet 2 stage, variable fan system.

In my opinion a home automation controller like Hubitat does not work well conceptually with any of these smart thermostats/systems other than setting home/away state. It's way too easy for Hubitat and the HVAC systems to both think they're in charge. Leading to nobody understanding what's going on.

Further opinion, both Carrier and Rheem systems perform well. But the controls of the Rheem are superior to Carrier. The Carrier controls and apps look 20th century and have not been updated in forever. And Nest beats both of them easily.

Wow that’s pricey, but might be worth it if it works out of the box.

What is the dongle plugged into?

Thanks, that makes sense. My main use with Hubitat would be for vacation and away scenarios as well as some temp control for a couple specialized rooms based on occupancy. Not trying to have Hubitat in control overall, that’s for sure.

One end plugs into your RS232 port (DB9) the other plugs into your ethernet (RJ45). It has a small program that you use to set it up and then you can forget about it. I believe it handle bi-directional although my application is simpler. I think it's technically described as a single port terminal server.

I agree the Carrier is a bit primitive but it handles everything we need. We set it and haven't changed it in almost 10 years. It's been a very low priority to integrate into Hubitat.

Interesting Would you happen to have a link?

I was digging. Ah, I just found the fold-out brochure for it. VLinx VESP 211 Series. Comes in a -232 model with a 9-Pin Male DB9 connector or a -485 model that supports RS-485 (2-wire or 4-wire) via a 5 connector screw terminal block.

https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Serial/Serial-Servers-Gateways-Serial-Device-Servers/model-BB-VESP211-232.htm

This might be worth looking at too:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ATV2DX2/

I have yet to find a need for this device, but have kept it in my shopping list as I still (on rare occasions) get requests for serial communications.

Yep, same kind of device.