New to Home Automation

Hi, this is the first time for me to get into Home Automation, so I am new to this. I just purchased the Hub.
Now I want to know which devices will work.
I am looking for Light Bulbs, Light Switches (some are double traditional light switches), and also Thermostat.
I also want to connect them to Google Nest Speakers and Alexa.

A friend also told me to get the Homebridge, and install on a Raspberry Pi.

So my question is:
What Light Switches are compatible with Hubitat?
And also Light Bulbs, and Thermostat. And also Outlets or Plugin Outlets.

Thank you very much for your help.

Start with this link. It will give you a jumping off point. Many devices that are not on the list are compatible either with a generic driver or user driver/integration. If you have questions about a particular device, throw it out in the forum. We're all here to help

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

And then this one will help you avoid some pitfalls

For google nest and alexa integration is built in. Home bridge isn't necessary unless you need to bring it to Homekit

3 Likes

This list is always a good place to start...

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

There are many recent threads asking similar questions where you will find good discussions of the pros and cons of Z-Wave, Zigbee, Lutron, and WiFi devices.

For me personally, I use Lutron Caseta (with the mandatory Lutron Smartbridge PRO hub) for all in-wall switches, dimmers, fan controllers (AC ceiling fans only) and Pico Remotes. For table/floor lamps, I use a Philips Hue bridge, with genuine Philips Hue bulbs. Between these two systems, I have all of my lighting covered. Both systems can be easily integrated with Hubitat, Home Assistant, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, SmartThings, Logitech Harmony Hub (deprecated these days :frowning: ), Node-RED, etc...

For sensors, I really like using Zigbee Motion, Contact, and Leak sensors. They are fast, inexpensive, and have good battery life. Building a Hubitat Zigbee mesh network will require some mains-powered Zigbee devices to act as Zigbee repeaters.

Good luck, Welcome, and Happy Reading! We'll be here for you when you have additional questions.

3 Likes

For switches, my go-to is Inovelli. They are coming out with a Zigbee 2-in-1 (dimmer/switch) very soon.

Zooz also makes some pretty good Z-Wave switches.

As for sensors, you’ll find that some are more expensive and some are cheaper. The cheaper (typically Zigbee) ones will work well enough, but can sometimes be problematic.

For light bulbs, Sengled are typically the ones most recommended. Other Zigbee bulbs can repeate and cause issues with the Zigbee mesh.

This might all sound overwhelming at first, but after some times looking at it, it becomes easier.

2 Likes

Good advice, but incomplete I fear :smiley:

You need an always on computer of some sort and a RaspberryPi (rPi) is often a first suggestion. The reality is, any OS that can run NodeJS can host HomeKit. So if you already have something like that, you can start there without having to find a rPi in this tough market. I have a headless Mac Mini, used as a Media Center first, but now hosts Homebridge too. But of even greater importance is to have a need for an Apple HomeKit solution. I think the look and feel of their Home app is great, but it does have some requirements, such as a HomePod or an AppleTV to act as the HomeKit hub. You can't use the Home app away from home, nor can you create Automations without. When you're ready to tackle this, ask and we can point to a 'recipe' for you. :smiley:

2 Likes

I am copy pasting a post I made before because it's just too much work to keep typing this stuff out. Here's my recommendation.

Here are my favorite devices for each type.

Hub: Hubitat C7 ($10 less on their own website)
Hubitat Elevation Home Automation Hub (Model C-7) Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, Zigbee, Z-Wave, Lutron (Requires Lutron Smart Bridge Pro) https://a.co/d/g3msbZt

Contact (also temp) sensor: Xfinity...search "ZigBee lot or bulk" on eBay for different quantities. These are rock solid and the best priced sensor if any type. They can even be put inside fridges and freezers to report temps. Be liberal and creative with these cheap sensors.

Motion Sensor, plug/outlets, Single Buttons, and mechanical switch (goes over existing switch instead of having to wire) go with Third Reality.

Light Switch: if these can fit in the box these are much more cost effective (requires neutral wire)

SONOFF ZBMINI ZigBee Mini Smart Light Switch(2 Way), Compatible with Alexa, SmartThings Hub, Philips Hue, Google Home & SONOFF ZBBridge, ZigBee 3.0 Hub Required, Neutral Wire Required 4-Pack https://a.co/d/d73qJRq

No neutral wire?

SONOFF ZBMINI-L ZigBee Mini Smart Switch, 2 Way Light Switch, Compatible with Alexa, SmartThings Hub, Philips Hue, Google Home and SONOFF ZBBridge, ZigBee 3.0 Hub Required, No Neutral Wire Required https://a.co/d/53J9wcI

Temp/humidity sensor (if you only care about temp use the contact/temp sensor from above) Humidity is nice for the bathroom to control your exhaust fan after a shower to pull out humidity. Also you can pop one in your dryer vent to know when your clothes are dry.

Good:

SONOFF SNZB-02 ZigBee Mini Indoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor for Checking the Room Climate, SONOFF ZigBee Bridge Required, Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer with Alert, Works with Alexa, Google Home https://a.co/d/dQwZ2xY

Better:

Centralite Temperature and Humidity Sensor - Monitors Room Climate - Detects High Humidity, Low Temperatures, Prevents Pipe Burst due to Freezing - Works with Smartthings, Hubitat, Ezlo, Vera, Zigbee https://a.co/d/f4VsBGV

Scene Switch (basically means multi button, button)

ZigBee Wireless Remote Control Smart Switch Wall Panel Transmitter,Requires MoesGo zigbee Hub,Smart Life/Tuya APP Remote Control, Wireless Button for Smart Home Devices and Scenes White https://a.co/d/aTOj6G2

Bulbs: I do not recommend ZigBee bulbs. Bulbs work as repeaters (except Sengled, but I've been having quality problems). If you turn off a bulb physically it not only drops from your ZigBee mesh, it also drops everything that was routing through it. It's a nightmare.

Instead I highly recommend Kasa brand bulbs. They are wifi but work very well with Hubitat and their quality seems good.

Stay away from Aqara, Ikea, Linkind. They all have ZigBee issues either locked down, not to spec, or use an unsupported messaging system.

When buying anything ZigBee (or any smart home gear) make triple sure to read the listing carefully. Many listings list wifi devices as ZigBee or vice versa. Buy from somewhere that's easy to return just in case.

Cameras I strongly recommend Amcrest as it does not require the use of a subscription. Use POE cameras as often as possible they are just more stable.

3 Likes

I suggest that you prefer controlling switched lights at the switch and not the bulb. Smart bulbs become very dumb when someone turns them off at the wall with a mechanical switch. It is a little more money and time initially but it will simplify life going forward.

Inovelli switches are loved by many and work very well. They have too many options for my needs and you might find them confusing at first. I am very pleased with the new Zooz 700 series switches and dimmers.

I have not used the Lutron Caseta products but they are reportedly trouble-free but fully-priced.

Have fun!

1 Like

As already noted, controlling lights at the switch is usually the best approach unless you want a lot of color changing. Common approach (that I use):

• Where you need on/off and brightness: "Dumb" LEDs controlled from a Z-Wave or Zigbee wall switch. This is how the vast majority of my lighting is set up.
  • Where you need colors/hues along w/normal white: Zigbee bulbs controlled from the hub, connected to a dumb wall switch (or in a lamp) that is always on. I prefer non-repeating Zigbee bulbs so I don't have to worry about them messing w/my Zigbee mesh, so I use Sengled Zigbee bulbs. I also have a few Hue bulbs on a Hue hub integrated into HE, which is also a very reliable way to go. (Note: This approach requires you ensure the bulb always has power, so you have to block family members from turning the dumb switch/lamp off, which then makes the smart bulb unconrollable.

Some smart switches allow you two modes: 1) Normal mode, where they control power to the light bulb; 2) Bulb mode, where they do not turn power on and off, they directly control the smart bulb. This gives you additional flexibility and allows you to change your approach if you want to (change dumb bulb to smart, and vice-versa). Inovelli and Zooz both have this feature, IRRC.

My favorite switches are GE/Jasco/Honeywell/UltraPro (different marketing versions of the same switches). They do not have bulb mode (something I've found I've never needed/wanted) and are the most reliable part of my system - they just don't cause me any problems.

Take your time making choices, and build your mesh following the advice above. Also, ask lots of questions - this forum has an amzing group of people who will dive in and help you eagerly.

These sensors have been solid for me used direct with Hubitat.
Unless something has changed... :man_shrugging:

Always a good idea! :grin:

1 Like

An excellent description!

I have enough Caseta devices to need two Lutron hubs, and can agree that they're trouble-free. They are "fully priced", but I got most of my dimmers for $50 in the package that included a Pico, and since most of the light circuits in my house are at least three-way (and some four-way), it was like getting two dimmers in each package, and allow both sides to control brightness. They also allow me to move some of them to better locations by mounting Picos on the wall. And the pairing between Pecos and their dimmers doesn't rely on any hub, so they always work, while the same can't be said for Hubitat. Hubitat's reliability is far better than the SmartThings system it replaced, but there's a lot of value (and WAF!) in having all the stuff on the walls ALWAYS work.

3 Likes

Linkind moisture sensors have been working well for me - they are inexpensive and I use them for under my sinks. The battery reporting is a little wonky.

Definitely recommend the MCT-350s you listed - they are working great in my setup so far. Use them for all my windows - low profile, can handle a bit of a gap etc.

In terms of Aqara - As long as they say "Zigbee 3" you have a fair shot at it working but search the forums before buying something just in case. I absolutely love their FP1 presence sensor device. It's very expensive but works great for detecting people who are very still (watching TV/reading etc) in a given area.

Also I like Zooz - good inexpensive Z-Wave+ switches. Catch them on a holiday for on sale pricing. You can also get a discount if you bulk buy - have to contact them first though. The place to go for this is thesmartesthouse.com. The only downside is some switches are not fan rated - so you'd have to use something like a GE switches (also decent) for bathroom fans.