New to HE

New here.. Just got my hub on friday... Almost finished moving over all my devices / routines from smartthings... Love what I see so far... The hub is crazy fast with the local processing... I will have all my migration complete this weekend... including the hsm...

I also got a coworker to switch this week... He also had smartthings...

My only concern is the longevity of the hubitat company... They only sell a hub... I would be happy to buy more hubitat branded devices.. I just jumped all in and need this company to stay around...

They've been selling hubs to the public for almost two years now. It's always a bit risky with something that I'd classify as a startup, but I've been pretty happy so far! They have mentioned that they have business plans that are private but not non-existent. We'll see! I'm certainly also happy with the product, and given that it can operate 100% locally, even if they disappear (and I certainly hope they don't), I have some comfort in the fact that at least everything I have won't stop working (my condolences to any Lowe's Iris migrants).

This press release from today is also interesting:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/hubitat-names-greg-toth-as-president-and-ceo/29162

and notably:

Hubitat is poised for major expansion through new product development, expanding markets and new services.

Perhaps this would include some Hubitat-branded devices they can sell with or separately from the hub to both make things easier for users and provide a revnue stream from device sales beyond hubs (or it could just include a new hub...or nothing at all, since they are "poised to" and not "necessarily going to"). Similarly, who knows about the "new services" (quick history lesson: when they were new, they planned to eventually launch "cloud extras" beyond the basics as a subscription service but backtracked and continued releasing all cloud services as included with the hub).

1 Like

This shouldn't even worry you, as your hub (minus cloud dependent devices) will operate with or without Hubitat as a company in operation.

1 Like

Good.. Nice to know they are expanding... I couldn’t believe selling just hubs would be sustainable...

Wouldn't you also loose cloud INTEGRATIONS in addition to DEVICES. Like Dashboards and Google Assistant control and Alexa control and IFTTT and all the other cloud integrations? I mean, they all go through the Hubitat cloud servers, right? If those servers got shut down all of those services would be lost too.

1 Like

Not to mention software updates

1 Like