New switchbot devices

I just read about the recent new devices from Switchbot - New releases – SwitchBot Global (switch-bot.com). Seems like they have multiple sensors in each device to make them more useful.

• SwitchBot Indoor Cam
  • SwitchBot Contact Sensor
  • SwitchBot Motion Sensor

Will be nice to have their support in Hubitat!

1 Like

I believe there are community-developed drivers for switchbot. Their API is through the cloud though.

4 Likes

I wrote SwitchBot drivers for Hubitat for many of their previous devices: SwitchBot gets an open API! - #17 by tomw

I looked at these, and their cloud API relies on polling for motion and contact statuses, which I figured would be too slow for most people. So, I may still add them for completeness but it hasn't been a priority for me.

They have ramped up their examples that show BLE (local) access, which I have played with before and had mixed results. But the main downside is that approach is that you need another Bluetooth capable computer between them and Hubitat like a Raspberry Pi.

2 Likes

Would love to be able to control my two switch-bots locally through Hubitat! Even with an rPI (I happen to have one just sitting around right now :wink:).

I use the switch-bots to press the button on automatic treat feeders in my goat pen and chicken coop run. Not having to rely on the cloud would be amazing.

1 Like

You can do this now with homebridge and Homebridge Switchbot Ble plugin. If youre not in the apple ecosystem you can use API calls from RM -> homebridge to triggger the bots.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll pass on anything Apple related. :wink:

1 Like

Well there is also an open source python host, add a little nodered and it should be able to work with hubitat. It’s a bit more work but might fit your needs.
GitHub - OpenWonderLabs/python-host: The python code running on Raspberry Pi or other Linux based boards to control SwitchBot.

Is there a way to get the Switch Bot Temp/Humidity sensor to work with Hubitat?

I wrote a driver that include cloud-based HT support: SwitchBot gets an open API! - #17 by tomw

Hi, I'm using your driver for Locker and it works wonderful. Thanks for ur work :slight_smile:
I would like to ask if there is any way to use the keypad touch as hubitat keypad....in the drivers it doesn't show up.

Thanks in advance!

I added Home Assistant to HE in order to use BLE Beacons.
It happens to be HA has very nice 100% local integration for
Switchbot devices.So, I immediately switched from cloud based
integration (I was using very nice @tomw drivers) to 100%
local control. Currently I am using 5 curtain bots and 2 switch
pushers.

1 Like

@vitaliy_kh , so using a conbee zigbee stick on HA?

In that case it should be possible to use a local zigbee driver for HE?

I wonder if someone code adept like @tomw would be able to build somethimg similar to the HA implementation then.

SwitchBot Curtains and Pushers devices are BLE, not Zigbee/ZWave.
HE does not have BLE. Direct integration with HE could be done
only by using SwitchBot WiFi-BLE Bridge. But unfortunately SwitchBot
API is only cloud-based, not local. Therefore @tomw HE Driver works
very well but unfortunately it is cloud-based.
My goal is - everything must be only local, no clouds.
From the other side Home Assistant integration with SwitchBot Curtains
is 100% local but it is BLE.

4 Likes

I am currently investigating whether a Shelly Plus device (easy to get and cheap) could be used as a BLE gateway for HE. That would provide a local solution. Else, some kind of BLE capable embedded computer, like and ESP32 or similar, would be needed as a gateway/proxy.

3 Likes

How this could be better or simpler vs. using HA or RPi?

BTW, I startled with HA on my spare RPi 3 but it was to..o slow.
(Automations on RPI HA was not slow but UI was annoyingly slow.)
Since right now I have multiple things running on HA (SwitchBot
Curtains and Pushers, Ecobee Thermostat, Home Arrival BLE
Beacons) I upgraded RPi3 to ameriDroid and as a result
everything is flying and what is more important, everything is
100% local. No more clouds.
And BTW, Thank You very much for the HADB!
HADB is very important component for the HA-HE integration.

1 Like

It wouldn't be. :slight_smile:

This would be very cool! Keep us posted!!

1 Like