New Raspberry Pi

For those that use the Pi for stuff connected to your HE, there is a New Pi announced today. Quad-core 1.5 Gb, up to 4GB RAM, Gb Ethernet, Bluetooth 5.0, Dual HDMI ports.
Oh ya, and $55
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

8 Likes

Is Pi a bad word? Why are you in a timeout? :grinning:

4 Likes

It could be in some cultures so I entered on the side of caution not wanting to offend.

Actually, I had a hard time getting to Lounge and perhaps I was automatically thrust into the Timeout category because the site figured I should be there.

Edit: Fixed now

1 Like

Ah it was the thrusting, then. Gotcha. :smiley:

4 Likes

Well... The 1GB RAM is $35, 2GB RAM is $45, and 4GB RAM is $55. So the 1GB model is the same as the Pi 3B+ but with USB3, debottlenecked NIC, and a faster processor.

Also, powered via USB-C connection now instead of MicroUSB.

1 Like

I didn't think anyone would be interesting the same old 1 GB RAM model. :wink:

Heck, I can fit most of my needs in the 512MB zero w. :+1:

I can too. Microcenter often has the Zero W for $5 so I have picked up a few over the past couple of years. The 4GB 4B approaches a capable desktop for most people. With the Windows core being available on the Pi I could see a desktop version coming to the 4GB version.

1 Like

Definitely. I can think of uses for the 4GB RAM version...

Although I admit I've been installing a lot fewer PI of any flavor now that I'm (slowly) getting the hang of making custom dockers.

I have a few dockers going on a few of my NAS devices but I haven't made much use of them. I just haven't spent enough time looking into creating custom dockers. I am just so used to updating from the command line that the thought of having to rebuild and replace to get something up to date just bothers me. ????
I have whittled down my servers to a single Supermicro SYS-E200-8D. 8 inches by 9 inches it has a 6 core Xeon CPU up to 128 GB RAM, 4 Ethernet 2 of which are 10 Gb .
I have a couple of dozen virtual machines on this although not all are running. So easy to clone a virtual machine template to run some project.

1 Like

Ordered mine today !!

2 Likes

The 4 GB model is $94.95 CAD before tax and shipping :astonished: I'll stick with the old MacBook Pro.

Obviously the Queen is disappointed with Canada. Coming from the UK there should be some love. 55 US converts to 70 something.

Did anyone hear that Huawei is coming out with a more powerful one, the 5...

raspberry spy 5

6 Likes

I ordered one but Fedex tracking says my shipment has been delayed.:laughing:

1 Like

From what I read, they won't be available until August 1st.

Depends on what version you order. The 2gb model is available at Canakit. The others are pre-order. I"m waiting for the 4gb model

2 Likes

:point_up_2:me too

1 Like

Me three! C'mon 4gb!

Makes one wonder how laptop manufacturers get away with charging a couple of hundred dollars to "double the RAM".